Thursday, December 08, 2005

Turkey Update

Ok...well...we had a meeting on Tuesday regarding the upcoming Turkey Trip! I'm currently getting very excited about going, despite the fact that the cost is going to set me back a bit for the year! Honestly it is worth it.

It looks like, if/when I hear back from the hotel, I may be staying with one of my colleagues at the Hali Hotel in Istanbul. It is a quaint Bed and Breakfast style hotel that has a view of the Bosporus and the minarets of Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque! Absolutely beautiful! And CHEAP! :):) Here's the site:

www.halihotel.com

I have yet to find a flight out, but I think waiting until the first of the year is a good idea. If anyone knows of a travel agent friend that can find us a deal, please let me know. I will probably be travelling, at least TO Turkey, with my "roomate", although I think she is planning to stay there a while longer than me.

The schedule for our trip generally includes morning lectures from scholars in Turkey regarding the art, history, culture, and literature of Turkey (both modern and historical). The afternoons are for field study, where we will go into the city (on our own or with a guide) in order to experience the culture. At that time, we'll also have on site lectures. The whole thing ends with a large dinner and a last day field trip to the baths at Bursa - which is around the other side of the Sea of Marmara. (I still have so much to learn about the city!!!)

I am looking forward to the end of the semester so that I can start focusing on next semesters classes and spending my spare time learning more about Turkey! It's very exciting, and I'll keep everyone posted on more updates!!!

No comments: