Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Full Story

OK...so, here's the full story about my discovery that I passed my exams. It's actually pretty funny.

So, I went to the grad department the other day primarily to meet one of the candidates for the new faculty position. I figured that while I was there, I could put my chair on the spot about whether or not I passed my exams.

Now, I should preface this by saying that I am used to walking into the office and getting enthusiastic hellos from my profs. In general, they like me. I walked in to a mellow "hello, Sarah" from Dr. H. Now, she was busy packing up her office for the upcoming across campus move, but still...not what I am accustomed to. Then I see Dr. D - my former advisor. She is typically all smiles. This day, however, she looks at me rather sternly as says, "I'd like a word with you in my office." Now, I'm starting to sweat. Why am I suddenly being treated with kid gloves like a pariah. Oh, CRAP!

Then, my chair comes out of his office. Looks at me awkwardly and says, "Did you want to talk to me?" I stutter out yes, and he says, well come in here and we'll close the door. Oh, CRAP! This is the part where he tells me I failed, right? Anyway...he says, "So, what did you need?"

I stutter again (how do I ask him straight up if I passed or not???) and say, "So, is everything set for Thursday then?" He says, "Oh, yes, I believe so. Of course, you know that you passed the written sections, right?" "Well, I do NOW!!!!" Ugh!

Anyway, we chat a bit about what to expect and I leave his office. I visit my other professor in her office and find out some GREAT news that I can't yet share...soon, soon. And we chat about the orals on Thursday - she's sure that I will do fine.

Anyway...that's my funny story. Now, I need to get back to work prepping for Thursday's exam. Review, review, review....

No comments: