Monday, February 27, 2012

New Bike Appreciation

So, I've now had the chance to spend some quality time with Mari and her compact gearing.

We went out Saturday morning in a snow storm (what were we thinking??).  Thanks to Amanda at Java's for taking this shot...


It started out pretty miserably, with driving snow and near white out visibility...my glasses were all covered with wet snow, but taking them off sent giant wet snowflakes careening into my eyeballs.  It was a lose-lose situation that caused a few folks to (rightfully) turn back a few miles in.  Fearing the perpetual teasing of a few guys, I decided to stick it out.  This is very unlike me, as I am typically a complete wimp when it comes to cold, wet weather.  Still, quite surprisingly, it wound up being a beautiful day (once the snow stopped and the sun came out).  Other than some pretty powerful wind gusts during the sprint section, it was a pleasant day in the saddle.

Sunday included a 3-hour jaunt on the rolling roads of the Bethesda area.  It was a truly gorgeous day (no snow and very little wind) and spending it with the Badger, BChan, Nikki and SaraB was awesome.  Any time spent with my teammates is really important quality time and this ride was no exception.  Not to mention that Badger made us some really fantastic lemon pancakes before the ride!  :)  Mmmmmmm....PAMCAKES!!!















I am still struggling a bit with the compact gearing.  It's very strange to me - and I admit that I am having trouble getting the gearing "right."  I am used to spending most of a ride in the little ring.  Switching to the big ring only when absolutely necessary, and trying to spin a lot in the small ring.  You CAN'T do that with a compact.  There's a LOT of gearing that goes on and a lot of movement from big to small ring.  This is taking some getting used to!  Still, I like having the extra gears to spin up a hill.  If only it made me a BETTER climber, rather than just making spinning easier!  :)

No comments: