I rode a lot this week. More than I've ridden since April. And, I rode pretty hard.
For me, at least.
I keep having to remind myself that I was couch-bound for over 2 months. I feel a little bit of frustration that I'm just not strong like I'd like to be. But, I have to smack myself in the head and remind myself that just a few weeks ago, I could barely walk.
This week included one major bonk and one less major bonk during rides. Bonking sucks. It's not just your legs feeling tired and not able to push a decent pace. It's like your lights just go out entirely. You stop thinking of anything other than the fact that you feel like crud. Then, you stop thinking about that and just become a bit of a zombie on two wheels. The major bonk lasted for the rest of the evening, just never quite coming back around to feeling normal. The minor one was over as soon as I was able to slow down on the bike and just find my internal rhythm again. And, of course, by being distracted from the pain and cruddy feeling by those around me.
One ride this week was a blessing in that I was riding with a Med Student whose speciality is sport/spinal work. She already works as a PT and is going back for her DO. She listened to my litany of presentations and symptoms and gave me some great advice on what I might try going forward. Because of this conversation, I'm less nervous about the fact that I'll be getting an epidural shot next week and I'm trying out a new Physical Therapist the following week. Because of this conversation, I'm feeling better about my recovery and about my prognosis going forward. So, a HUGE thank you goes out to my Wednesday riding buddy!! THANK YOU!
So, I'm tired tonight. Very tired. But, I'm also satisfied. I know that I have amazing people around me who want to see me make a full recovery and who are willing to put up with the Grumpy-Chop on occasion as I struggle to get there. I now have a better idea of what really might be going on inside this bod of mine and I'm anxious to get some new eyes and new ideas in the recovery mix. I am now ready to focus on the next set of things in life...
A new contract at work - FINALLY!!
In-service week with my awesome colleagues.
The start of classes with a new fleet of (hopefully wicked cool) students.
A team weekend in the mountains.
The lovely season of long weekend rides watching the leaves change color.
But first...
A trip to the zoo and the beach with Mr. Porkchop! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment