I got up on Sunday morning after 4 hours of sleep and drove back to the city from a conference down at the shore. It took a little over an hour to drop some folks off in the city and get home. I dawdled around a bit and then decided that I would head over to the South Jersey Spring Series to watch my girls race - Sara and Borda were in the 3/4 and Kati was coming home from school and doing the Open race.
I didn't eat anything.
No coffee.
Nada.
Not a good idea.
I got there and was shocked to find that the Open race had been pushed back and I was going to have enough time (should I dare choose) to hop in the race. Sigh. Of course, I had to... right??
So, I got ready mentally and rolled up to the line.
The race was wicked. We were with the 45+ men, who are mostly 1s and 2s. Translation: They are DAMN fast and serious about this racing stuff. They went off the line like cats with their tails on fire. Translation: They were DAMN fast and serious about this racing stuff. I got popped on lap 1. Oh, crap. I thought for sure that I was not going to finish, but I was VERY lucky to get in a nice group with Dana and a couple of guys. We worked SUPER well together and jammed for the whole of the 40+ minute race. If my numbers say anything, they say that this was one of the hardest races I've ever done. And, it's only MARCH, people!!!
The results were totally whacky and wrong, putting me as a 3rd place finish. HAHA, I wish! I think I was probably 6th...maybe even 7th out of 7. But, the most important things are:
1. I completed my first race of 2014.
2. I completed my first race post back surgery with NO pain (during or after the race).
3. I had a BLAST.
4. I felt better than I thought I would despite the debacle that was the first lap.
5. It was SO wonderful to be surrounded by the amazing women in our area: Borda, Sara, Kati, Dana, Victoria, Barbie-Pants, Meredith, Jackie, Andrea, Sue, Patty, Diane, Bobbie, Gina, Dori, and at least a few others that I've missed. And, the guys, too - Mooney, Dr. Borda, Kevin, Billet, Ramon, etc.
In short... it was an amazing day. I felt so happy to be back out there and happy to be fighting back into shape. I can't wait to go back for another beating this weekend!
Happy pedaling, folks!
3 comments:
Maybe the promoter was being generous?
HAHA! In that case, Matt... thank you so much for my first podium of the year. You are a true gentleman.
In all fairness, you and the officials had one hell of a job there, that field blew to pieces pretty quickly! :)
Post a Comment