Wednesday, November 09, 2016

I am with LOVE

This is, I think, my first "political" post.  Ever.  But, don't worry... it will not really be about politics and it will not be a hate-filled rant.  In fact, I would beg my friends, family, and those I don't know to avoid hate at this unbelievably important moment.  Though, in my heart of hearts, I worry that for some people this isn't possible. 

This post is about love.  And hope.  And overcoming the unbearable sadness, fear, and anxiety that currently floods my soul.  And, it's about the love that I'm desperately going to search out and grow in my heart, even though it's currently hiding away somewhere.  I must find it. 

I must grab hold of that love for myself and my future as a woman in a society that has gestured toward a huge leap backward in terms of women's rights.

As an intellectual in a society that fears intelligence and education.

As a friend and ally to every person that I encounter regardless of race, creed, religion, gender, sexuality, and, yes, even political leaning, in a society that has increasingly and openly displayed hatred and fear and violence toward "others". 

As a person who believes in the betterment of our world through kindness, consideration, tolerance, and love in a society that currently wants to divide human beings into categories of differentiation. 

As an Aunt to beautiful nieces and nephews whose future relies upon our making fair and smart choices in a society that seems to offer fewer and fewer options for doing so. 

Please know that this is not an attack on any one person or any one party or any one anything. 

This is not a post about me being right and someone else being wrong. 

This is not a post where I say that I hate the people who don't agree with me... that I hate those that think opposite to me. 

I don't hate you. 

I LOVE you. 

All I ask is that you love me, too.  And her.  And him.  And them.  And us. 


I'm not sure what the next few days or months or years or decades have in store for us.  I'm not sure what they would have had in store for us had the election gone differently.  I imagine the division of our nation's people would still exist and hatred would still be brewing, just in a different way.  And, I believe that it would have surfaced in a more dangerous way - those telling me now to "shut the hell up and deal with it" would, I think, have a hard time doing that if the cards had fallen differently.  And, it's this expression of anger and dominance that I want to fight. 

In truth, I don't know how to do that... any more than the female suffragists initially knew how to fight for the vote or Rosa Parks knew how to fight for her seat on a bus.  But, they figured it out, and so shall we.  I believe that we can recover the love that I believe exists in my fellow people.  Unfortunately, for now, all I can see from my seat on the bus is anger, hatred, boisterous arrogance, fear, and unbearable sadness.  None of this is going to help us recover.  None of this is going to help us survive.  None of this is going to help us move forward.

We are at a scary tipping point in our world.  We can either allow hatred and fear and power to threaten the freedoms that we, as a country and as a people, have held so dear, or we can fall victim to the divisive nature of history's mistakes. 

And, to those who say that this isn't about hate.  Please come to my classes, or those of my colleagues, and tell that to the students who fear that they will be deported, those that have asked us if they should "go home" because they are not welcome here, those who are AFRAID for their LIVES because the rhetoric of this political moment has been telling them that if they are different (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, etc.) they should be afraid not just for their rights but for their LIVES.  Please tell me how that is not about fear-mongering and hate.  Please tell them, because I am unable to do so.

And, to those that will say that I'm overreacting.  I truly hope that you're right.  I pray that now that this bitter and spite-filled election is over, our leaders and our people will find some semblance of sense and caring and consideration for others and find a way to bring our nation back together.  I truly hope for that.

As hard as it is for me right now, and as much as I want to bury my head in the sand and cry for the loss of social growth and maturity that has been an amazing part of our GREAT country, I will not.  I will simply tell myself and those around me over and over and over....

I am with LOVE.
I am with LOVE.  
I am with LOVE.
I am with LOVE. 
I am with LOVE.

No comments: