Sunday, March 26, 2017

Chlorinated Piggy

So, with my cycling career having ended... many of you know that I've turned back to the water for physical mental health.  And, things have been going so very well.  I'm feeling great and really loving being in the water.  But, I still felt as though I needed a goal.  Some particular thing to work towards... to keep my intention directed.  So, I decided to sign up for a meet.  

Today was my first swim meet in 17 years.  I was nervous enough in signing up early in February that I only signed up for three very short events... the 50 Fly, 50 Free, and 100 IM.  When the day finally arrived, I was happy that I had selected those events, but also a bit bummed that I hadn't had a bit more confidence in myself and signed up for a few longer events (the 200 IM? 200 Free? 100 Fly?).  Alas... I was resolved to put everything that I had into those races and have fun!

Warm up was much as I remembered.  A gaggle of swimmers all piled into lanes laughing as they attempted to do a few laps and get ready.  The sprint lanes opened, and I got a few starts under my belt.  For some reason, going off the block after all these years just felt natural.  I was feeling ready.

The 50 Fly was my first race.  As I remembered from years ago, the butterflies in my stomach disappeared as soon as I stepped on the block.  A few shakes of the arms, a "Take Your Mark," and we were off.  I felt surprisingly smooth and strong during this first race.  Perhaps a little too smooth.  After I hit the wall, I realized that I probably could have put a bit more into it - but, I think I was worried about blowing up, so I raced a bit on the conservative side.  Alas... I was THRILLED with a 30.13 and a National Cut!  I'm convinced that I can break 30 seconds... maybe next time.

The 50 Free came next and I was excited for it.  Definitely NOT my strong suit (sprint freestyle), but I wanted to just keep my form together and use my legs to power through.  My turn was CRAPTASTIC - and I'm sure it cost me a few tenths - but, I finished strong and looked up to see a 28.35 on the board!!  WHAT???  I was just hoping to get below 30!  A 28 was really awesome to see. And, I found out later that it, too, was a National cut.

Finally, the one I was most excited for... the 100 IM!!  It was SO FUN!  I took my fly all out this time... no skimping.  My turn to backstroke was rough - tons of water up my nose.  But, I held it together and had a solid turn from back to breast.  My splits were really solid, and I was again surprised and happy to hit the wall and see a 1:10.37 on the board.  Nearly 3 seconds under the National cut for that event!

WHAT???  Three races... three cuts?  No way.

I had an amazing time at the event.  I met some awesome people, was invited to check out a few different teams, which I probably will do, and was inspired by amazing stories of perseverance.

Like this lady - Joan Waldbaum... 85 years old.  She raced the 100 IM in the heat before me.  She has survived pancreatic cancer and is currently on hospice care for stage 4 cancer.  She inspired an entire natatorium with every kick and was honored with a lifetime achievement award after the meet.  I feel utterly grateful for having met her today.  And, I will carry her amazing spirit with me everywhere I go.

As a testament to how nice people are, I was able to get my events filmed!  So, here's a little video for you to watch!  Whee!!

No comments: