Thursday, January 17, 2019

52 Week Photo Challenge

Yesterday was my birthday. To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to it. 41 is just a blah kinda year, the last few weeks have been pretty rough (emotionally and physically), and I was just feeling kind of stuck. 

But, in a wonderful turn of luck, two really significant things happened yesterday to start me on a different trajectory, to redirect my energy, to refocus my drive, and to generally get me out of the funk that was pervading my brain-hole.

Thing #1... I've been an athlete forever. Duh. But, I've also been a TEAM athlete forever.  So, I've always held fast to the importance of accountability. I need to be on my game because my TEAM needs me to be on my game. I need to be working hard, because my team needs me to show up at game time and be ready to rock. So, with the team aspect of my life having drifted away with the end of my cycling career, and my life schedule not being super conducive to the swim team opportunities that are around, I find myself struggling. Struggling for motivation, struggling for goal setting, and just basically finding excuses to skip out when I feel like it.

So... I found some accountability. I recently signed up for a program called My Peak Challenge that includes people from all over the world - with a nice solid cohort here in Philly (YAY!) - to encourage one another to set goals, meet goals, celebrate goals, and just be awesome.  Plus, they donate money to good causes and that always gives me the happies. I'm feeling good about having someone giving me nutritional guidance and workouts to do - even if I don't see that person on a daily basis, I feel accountable to the workout that they've given me. I'm excited to be in the pool, but also excited to get out of the pool and have structured opportunities to get back to the weight room and do other cardio. I'm hopeful that this more rounded physical endeavor will help me with the recurring back issues that pop up now and then. I'm just stoked. 

Thing #2... I've started a challenge with my Dad and Sara to get us behind our camera lenses more often.  We are embarking on a 52 Week Photo Challenge.  Each week, we will give ourselves a theme and get to work.  At the end of the week, we'll share our images and give ourselves some critiques.  I'm super excited to do this with my friend and with my dad. And, once again, the accountability of these other folks will keep me going.

So... My Peak Challenge for this year is physical, mental, emotional, and creative.  And, I'm excited to get the ball rolling. 

Let's do this, 2019! 

No comments: