Monday, February 23, 2009

Training Recap

Team training over the weekend went really well. We had a good turnout despite very chilly temps and even colder winds. Ten minutes in I was afraid my fingers would never recover, but after a good hour of warming up, I managed to regain a feeling in them that wasn't pain! By the time we ended the session, it had actually turned into a pretty gorgeous day.

We did some good training again (like the weeks prior) that pushed us to work together as a big group or in smaller "teams." We did some attack and bridge drills, where we were forced to shoot off the front and to be chased by the rest of our team. It was a good indicator for me of the desperate need to get out on some hills... my primary attack occured on the one hill on the course. I took it at a pretty good clip and was totally cracked by the time I hit the summit of the climb. Not a good sign, but then again...sitting on a trainer doesn't really prep you for hills.

On a positive note, we did an exercise in which each team had to protect a rider to the finish line and we basically got prime points for certain laps of our "race." I took it as an opportunity to work on lead outs and to build up my sprinting power. I was focused on getting up and staying out of the saddle to the line. It went pretty well and I ended up winning two straight up sprints and one time-trial style attack to the line. It felt good to hit 29 mph at this time in the season. I hope that translates to a good 32 mph during peak race season!

Overall, the team was great. We had a wonderful time and really worked well together. It's so exciting to see everyone in pink and getting ready for what will certainly be an excellently Sturdy season!

No comments: