Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween

Halloween is October 31st.
That would be tomorrow.

I know that I am stating the obvious, but it seems that there are folks out there who need to be reminded.

There is no such thing as "Trick or Treating Night." More importantly, if there was such a night, it would only occur one night a year, and that night would be HALLOWEEN (aka, October 31st). At no point in time will Halloween fall on October 30th, 29th, 28th, or HEAVEN FORBID, November 1st. Therefore, it is not called "Trick or Treating Night." It is called HALLOWEEN.

When I was a kid, we went out on Halloween to trick or treat. It didn't matter if it was a Saturday, a Wednesday, or a Thursday, we went out to trick or treat on the 31st. That's what you do. You do not randomly assign neighborhoods "Trick or Treating Night." What the heck is this crap? Lately, it has become commonplace to assign these bizarre rules to trick or treating. I'm sorry, but if some kid comes to my door tonight asking for candy, he's going to get what Charlie Brown always got in his bag...a rock. Come back tomorrow, kid.

I suppose that it's just my love of Halloween that causes me to become so incensed with this concept. Thanks for allowing me to vent, most non-magnanimously! ;)

No comments: