Thursday, November 05, 2009

Weight Lifting

Did you ever have something just sitting on your back and weighing you down? Something that you were DYING to talk about? Something that you really wanted to express, but it just wasn't the right time, you didn't have the ability, or heck - things were really finalized in such a way that you could talk about it? That has been my life for the last month or two.

Yesterday, I was finally able to get some relief. Here's what happened...

I got a phone call around 6:30 last night from Wendy. It was a phone call I had been anxiously awaiting because it was a call that had the potential to have a huge impact on my life. See, Wendy is the President of the CAWES cycling team (Capitol Area Women's Elite Squad) also known as CycleLife.

Last weekend (over Halloween), I (and Alaina the Flying Gurski...but I'll get to that later!) was invited down to Baltimore to visit with the women on the team. It was what we would call a "Meet and Greet" Sturdy Girl ride. They wanted to meet with me, get to know me, ride with me...see if I fit the team. It was a really nice weekend. Wendy put me up at her house. We took Michelle out for a sushi birthday dinner in the city. We hung out and chatted about what we do, riding bikes, our families, etc. I was amazed at how comfortable I felt with them and hoped that the feeling would continue to the next day when the rest of the team arrived and was mutual!

The rest of the team descended on Wendy's house in the morning. We had planned a nice long ride out in the rolling hills of Maryland, but our plan was foiled by a constant, cold rain. We decided instead to set 7 trainers up in Wendy's living room and ride our bikes there while watching a movie! It was actually pretty fun because we could all talk to one another without worrying about losing concentration on the road or moving around in the paceline. It would have been nice to get out on the road with them, but that will come in due time!

After our ride, we sat and talked about the team, our goals (both personal and as a group), the expectations, sponsorship, training, etc. Again, things really felt right as I sat there talking with these amazing women.

So, after getting home on Sunday, I sent a message to the team letting them know that I was still interested in a spot on the squad if they would have me. Last night, the phone call from Wendy was to let me know that I had been unanimously voted onto the team!! I was so excited, I literally hopped around the house!

Then I realized that the hardest part had come...breaking the news to the Sturdy Girls. I called Dana and Sally and George. I really wanted to TALK to them and not have them find out in a mass email. Dana was awesome - as expected! She told me how proud she was and how happy she was and then asked the most important question...."Will you still be able to come to CAMP?!?!?" hehehehe!! The answer to that question by the way is...I certainly plan on it! :)

I actually didn't get a chance to talk to Sally and George (both were out for the evening), but G already knew what was going on and I am certain that Sal has a pretty good idea herself. Still, I plan on talking with them today.

The rest of the team got an email that took me quite a while and a lot of tears to write. I hope that all of you Pinkees out there know that I'm not going anywhere. Not really. I am ALWAYS going to be Pink at heart. ALWAYS. I will always be around for training rides, parties, movie nights, and any other events to which I am invited.

I love you guys.

No comments: