Monday, April 22, 2013

Quick Race Updates...

OK... I don't have much time... they're here and I must get this message out before they find m-



Just kidding.

So, I've had a few busy weeks and blogging took a back seat to many other fun and exciting things like reading and grading papers.  Wheeeee!!

Me, trying to ride Little D's bike.  Keep in mind that I ride a 54 and her bike is a 44!!

OK - so, a quick recap of the last two weekends of racing... from the perspective of a Porkchop.

Carl Dolan Circuit Race:

A team staple, we headed out in force to battle with the lovely ladies of MABRA-land!  We LOVE racing down there... lots of smiling faces, lots of strong legs, and lots of great riding.

It was very windy, so we knew early on that no one was going to be getting away solo or anything.  We did our best to cover everything that went and to play to our sprinters - we were setting Bad Kat up for the finish (she'd just taken 3rd at Soyoco on an uphill finish the day before!).  I channeled my inner Bernie (perhaps a bit too early in hindsight but... what can you do) and led the charge for the last 2K or so.  I got the ladies a bit of the way up the hill and my legs went out.  They came around and sprinted for the top with Kat taking 6th on the day.  Not a bad effort for us.  Not great, but we're still working on the tactics and it's only April!

All American Road Race:

A bit of frustration followed by a nice finish - pretty much sums this one up.

It was just me and Little D.  Our tactic was simple...watch the big guns for the inevitable break - hope to be in it.  If not, organize a chase and do what we could.  The break did happen.  We weren't in it.  I chased until I was about to puke (literally).  We were within reach, one major pull from another rider, and I think we would have caught them.  Unfortunately, that wasn't to be and they pulled away definitively.  Frustration followed.

Alas, I reset my brain to try for the sprint.  I figured, we'd shed so many riders that the group I was in was relatively small - maybe 10-12 riders.  Yeah, I can do that...

We came through the final turn and Chris of Kenda went to the front and gunned it for her sprinter Colleen.  I stayed in a good position in the line as it stretched out and just stayed patient.  I knew that it was a long way to the finish line and I wanted to really test my legs.  As we neared the 200 m point, people began to rev it up.  Two riders separated in front of me, and I took the chance.  I jumped up between them and pipped another rider at the line for 3rd in the field sprint.   ME!  3rd!  Totally crazy.  I ended up 9th overall and Little D was 12th.  Sweetness.

Lower Providence Criterium:

Ahhh, the utter love/hate relationship that I have with this event is palpable.  I've had the worst days of my life - and some of the best - at this race.  Every year I SWEAR that I'm never doing it again.  And, every year I come back for more.  There's really something wrong with me.

So, we were completely outgunned at this one.  Little D, BChan, me, and about 15 Peanut Butter and Co. riders, a handful of EPS riders, and two national champions lined up for the sunny start (at least it wasn't pouring rain).  We knew that our tactic had to be defensive.  No offensive moves.  If a break got free, we HAD to be in it (I was REALLY itching for that), and if not, we had to position BChan for the sprint.  

With 2 to go, I jumped up to a group ahead behind another rider.  As we neared them, I yelled that we should go past them.  So, I jumped again.  She didn't come with.  I was solo for a little over a lap before the field caught me with 3/4 of a lap to go.  While it was an unsuccessful attempt (and not even a purposeful one!), it was a glorious bit of time off the front.  I got a lot of compliments for a gutsy move and that means a lot.  I never want to be a racer who sits in complacently.



In the end, BChan sprinted for an AWESOME 4th place finish against a stacked field.  Little D and I came in with the same group at 18th and 21st.

All in all, I can't complain.  I am so happy to be racing again.  I am SO happy to be competing with some of my favorite women in the world (Dana, Theresa, Rhodesie, Barb, and too many others to name).

Most important, I am ECSTATIC about racing with the most amazing team of women.



No comments: