I've been hearing an interesting response lately. It's a response to the following acknowledgment and comes across as an odd mixture between a statement and a question. The conversation generally goes something like this...
"So, I hear that you're going to be Department Chair in January."
"Yep."
"Congratulations...?"
There's always that little question mark at the end. It's rather cute, and I totally understand where it's coming from. But, yes, it's true. I'm going to be Department Chair for the next two years. I'm excited about it. And nervous. And excited. But, mostly just anxious. I want to do a good job. I want to make the department proud. I want to do right by my colleagues, by my institution, and by me. It's important that I remain ME throughout this process.
I knew that this would come my way eventually. After the completion of my degree and the current chair's embarkation upon his own PhD journey, I knew that it was time for him to step down. I imagined that it was likely to be my turn to step up.
So, here we are. At the start of the new year, I'll be moving to a new office, taking on a new set of responsibilities, and, hopefully, do the best job that I can do.
No comments:
Post a Comment