Sunday, January 11, 2015

Facebook Posts are Not Always Sarcastic...

Well... 2015 is officially here.  It has roared it's way in with chilly temps, a quick start to the semester, and a feeling of optimism and contentment that I haven't felt in a long time.

After my first day back at work, my Facebook status simply said, "I love my job."  I think people thought I was being sarcastic, but I wasn't.  Truly.  I really do love my job.  It was so nice to be back at work with friendly faces and the excitement of the new semester just around the corner.  Was the week perfect?  Not in the least.  But, I'm reminded that the choice that I made about my longterm career many years ago was the right one.  I'm in a place where I've been able to grow, develop, and mature as a professor and as a colleague.  I honestly do love my job.

There's so much in the works over the next six months or so.  I can hardly believe that all of this will be happening in just a short while - and all I have yet to do to MAKE it all happen!  I've papers and 1-credit courses to write, I've travel plans to arrange and book, I've much to do and I'm sure that it will feel as though I have no time to do it.  I'm sure that it will all be upon me more quickly than I can imagine.  This seems always the case with the Spring semester, too... it flies by like a bullet.

For now, all I can do is prepare myself for the whirlwind.  Though some of my friends and colleagues are awaiting the Facebook post that says, "I no longer love my job," I imagine that their wait will be indefinite.  Though there are aspects of the job that I could live without, I can't imagine that any other calling would suit me or bring me any more joy than this one.

Now... I'm off to put on four layers of clothes, a strong embrocation, and the biggest gloves I own and attempt a ride in the freezing temps with some dear friends.

Until next time...

No comments: