It was a cold winter's evening. My teammate Meredith and I had hopped on our bikes in the Porkchop Pain Cave for a workout. I took a look at the session in front of me and thought, "Boy, this is going to be HARD..." Little did I know.
I failed.
Terribly.
I failed.
Embarrassingly.
I almost didn't want to post the workout to my Training Peaks. I didn't want the coach to see it. I didn't want her to see how badly I had cracked.
How silly.
Of course I'm going to fail once in a while. She's expecting that. I've asked her to push me. HARD. I've asked her to make me - at the ripe old age of thirty-mmggfffghh - a stronger cyclist, able to compete at national levels. If I was breezing through these workouts, both she and I would wonder why I hadn't stepped atop an Olympic podium by now, right? But, still... what a humbling experience it was to send her that workout. But, her only response was of total support and encouragement. The next time it will be better - tomorrow will be better - you will be better.
Yep - my coach rocks.
As I sat atop my trainer the other day doing an easy hour spin, I began to think about how I ended up here, with the coach that I have. How did I - a local yokel rider in NJ - end up being coached by a multi-time national champ? Well, here's the story...
For several years between 2005-2009, my previous coach George housed professional teams as they came into the city for a series of races in Allentown, Reading, and Philadelphia. The Colavita Women's team stayed with him several times. Each time they came to stay, he would invite me and some of the other local gals to come ride with them or just stop by and say hi. Because of that, I met and rode with a World Champion and national champs from Australia, Lithuania, the United States, and even a guy who raced in the Tour de France! One day, when he called me over... I walked into the house and found myself sitting at his kitchen table having coffee with Tina Pic.
I was in awe.
I was a Cat 3 with a dream of one day becoming a Cat 2 and maybe, just maybe, starting the Liberty Classic in Philadelphia.
I was sitting at a table with one of the most decorated women in American cycling who was sincerely asking me about my racing. Ummm... really?
We chatted for a while and then I left. A few days later, I screamed my lungs out from Lemon Hill as Tina and the rest of the Colavita team fought hard against the likes of Ina Yoko-Teutenberg and Shelly Olds. It was so great. And, I thought that was the end of it.
By the start of the next year, I had secured my Cat 2 upgrade and I was given the chance of a lifetime. I was offered a guest spot on a team that would do a few of the National races... including the Liberty Classic. By this time, Tina had retired from racing, but had taken on a role as Director Sportive for Colavita.
I went to the Fitchburg Classic Stage Race that year. I was so out of my depth (getting dropped in nearly every race), but I was trying. One day, as I was off the back and the caravan of team cars was passing me, I heard something.... a voice... screaming MY name. Ummm... what the heck? It was Tina - hanging out the window of the Colavita team car - yelling for me to go! "You can do it, Sarah! Keep it up, Sarah!" I nearly stopped pedaling, I was so shocked.
I was in awe.
I kept pedaling. I did do it. And, I kept at it.
I would run into Tina on occasion at races. Every time that I saw her, I was greeted with a huge smile. And a hug.
I was in awe.
As I came back from injury in 2014 and had a good season, I made the decision that I needed to hire a coach again. I needed a push. I needed someone to whom I would be accountable. I needed someone who could help me come back and achieve my goals - racing hard locally and holding my own on the professional races. One name kept popping into my head... Tina.
When I asked her if she'd be willing to coach me and she said yes, I was SO excited.
Working with her so far has been natural and awesome. Her positive attitude keeps me moving, her tough workouts keep me working hard, and knowing that I get to race alongside her on occasion this year keeps me honest! She's an incredible coach and I feel truly honored to be working with her!
And yes...
I am still in awe.
No comments:
Post a Comment