Saturday was the Cherry Blossom Circuit Race. A completely flat 2.2 mile course with one real corner, it wasn't the sort of technical race that I really crave, but it was a PERFECT first team race of the year.
The Cat 4 team had a strong contingent lining up on a VERY cold morning with a sky threatening to rain/snow at any moment. Victoria, Danielle, Alli and Nikki were ready to go!! The girls had a great race, despite a crash in the final corner (none of our ladies went down, but a few got caught behind it), Alli finished a strong 7th on the day. A shout out to the ladies who went down (some of them in their first race ever)... glad you're all ok and I know that you'll get back out there and fight another day.
I was stoked to line up for my first team race with Gabby, Andy, and Emily. We had a good idea of tactics for the day, particularly saving Emily for the field sprint if it came to it.
Our race was a nicely stacked field with Anna and Lauren from Happy and Healthy, Amy from Fearless Femmes, Kathryn "Cyclocross" Cummings, and Mim Gilbert and several other the girls from CRCA/Dave Jordan. And, that's just a small sampling... it was a great field for an early race.
Since our pre-race warm up was pretty much non-existent, I took the first lap at the front just to get the legs moving. After that, we had 8 laps to try to make something happen. Lauren and Anna were, of course, more than happy (and healthy) to launch attacks and counter attacks. As were we! It made the race fun and gave us a few chances for the possibility of breaks. Unfortunately, nothing was able to get away, as the field was very attentive and gave chase whenever they could.
Emily sprinted to 2nd place behind Amy, with Lauren close behind in 3rd. That's one awesome looking podium! :)
Sunday found Mr. Porkchop and I driving down to Cape May Court House for the first event of the NJ Time Trial Cup series. I'm not necessarily going for the cup, but I'm working hard to dial in the TT bike to be ready for Nationals in 42 days! YIKES!! It's going to be here SO fast!
Nikki and I were there despite the temps in the low 30s. Thankfully, the sun made itself present and that helped a LOT in keeping us from being absolutely miserable. ;) Look, we were able to smile for a photo!
The TT was a little over 7 miles along a flat stretch of road. There was a decent headwind on the way out which kept the speeds a little lower than I would have liked. And, on the way back, the tailwind that I expected to have, wasn't really there! Typical of NJ! ;) Every once in a while you'd feel the wind at your back and think - YESSSS.... and then it would go away!
I felt like absolute CRUD at the start of the race... with not a lot of warm up, the cold weather, and the crit effort in my legs from the day before, I was worried that it was going to be "one of those days." But, I quickly pushed the thought from my mind and willed my legs to keep going. Within about a half mile, they loosened up and I was able to settle in for the rest of the race. I felt good after that and was even able to pop out of the saddle for a sprint at the end.
I was quite thrilled when results were posted and I was 2nd - only 10 seconds behind Shannon Kaplan, who's a truly awesome TT specialist! Sorry that our "podium shot" doesn't include Anne Marie Miller who finished 3rd or my kit - it was FREEZING and I simply had to change into warm clothes!!
I'm very excited to continue racing the TT bike - and the next attempt will be this upcoming weekend at the Allamuchy TT. I'll be there with several teammates, and the weather will be spring like, so I'm sure that we're going to have an absolute blast! :)





No comments:
Post a Comment