Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Race That Makes Me All Fidgety

For whatever reason... and, honestly, I can't explain why... Lower Providence has always been a race that makes my anxiety level rise.  I think it's a combination of it being early in the year, always fast, sometimes sketchy, and never easy. So, I could cough it up to early season jitters, but I swear that there's just something about it.

This year, I think that I was extra nervous and excited because we had a strong contingent of teammates going in and a strong field with which to contend.  We're still getting our team tactics under our belts, but things are already going so very well.  This team is solid together and we really have great communication on and off the bike.

So, as expected, the race started out fast and furious.  There were a few attacks launched, but the field was very attentive and nothing was getting very far up the road before being pulled back.  Normally, this race has quite a few primes, which give opportunities for counter attacks.  This year, there was only one - and with 9 laps to go, it was simply too early in the race to make a move for the break.  So, it came down to a field sprint.

There were a few sketchy moments in the race - especially early on as some riders were jockeying for position on lap 2.  I have no idea who it was, and thank goodness for our early season bumping drills, but someone tried to squeeze between me and another rider and all I felt was her hands on the back of my arm.  I was like, "SRSLY?  It's the 2nd lap of the race and you're trying to put yourself where you simply don't fit.  WHY?"  Sometimes you just need to remember to stay calm and be smart.  A race is not won in the corners - so making silly moves there is not worth it.  And, it's not won in the 2nd lap because you wiggled your way in between two riders mid-pack.  THINK before you decide to try to push your way around a field.  Is it really worth it right at this moment?  A little argy bargy in a sprint is understandable and it happens (though it's also easy to avoid!), but not on the 2nd lap of a 19 lap race.  Come on...

All in all, we raced well.  We launched attacks, covered everything else that moved, and lined up nicely for the sprint.  Though our train at the end got slightly derailed by an attack between turns 2-3, we still managed to reposition well for the final corner and straight and take 3rd and 4th on the day.

 Riding hard with the stellar Laura Van Gilder on my wheel.  I think it was like her 7th race of the day or something!  Beast!

The team lined up and ready for the last lap and the final sprint.  Rachel Rubino from Level 11 is a wicked strong rider and a solid wheel in the pack - I'm loving having her out there in these races!

Up next is the always windy and always fun Navy Yard Criterium on Saturday and the Pedricktown Road Race on Sunday.

No comments: