Friday, December 07, 2007

A New Year on the Rise

The New Year is on the horizon.

It's creeping more quickly than I might like toward the back door. Soon, it will be 2008. This has an interesting extra meaning for me this year, as I was born waaaay back in 1978. Yep...you got it...the big 3-0 is just around the bend. And I mean that quite literally...just over a month from now, I will be celebrating a move into a new decade. I joke about what this means for me..."oh, I'm getting old" or "break out the walker," but the fact is, I feel better now than I did when I was turning 20! I'm in better shape, I'm at a better place in my life, and I'm far happier than I have been in a while. For me...life is good...very good. Let's examine...

I have been married to an incredible man for nearly 4 years who drives me crazy in all the right ways, even when they're the wrong ways!

I have an amazing family that I consider friends rather than obligatory family members. Not everyone can say that they LIKE their siblings and parents. I can say that and a lot more. I admire them, I appreciate them, I love them.

I have completed my last graduate course EVER. Which means, I am steps away from the completion of a doctoral degree. Granted, they are REALLY BIG steps...but steps nonetheless.

Because of that degree, I now count several new folks among some of the best friends I have ever had...Whitney and Christa. I love you gals tremendously. Anyone who will drive over the bridge at the drop of a hat because I am sitting in front of my computer having an anxiety attack over a paper (Christa!) is a friend that you can hardly live without. Add these two to people like Karyn (My god, we've known each other for nearly 14 years!), Heather and Jamie and I realize that life really is better with good friends.

I took a leap in joining the Sturdy Girl Cycling team. It was a leap that paid off, BIG TIME! I not only achieved my goals for the season and more, but I came away from the experience a more mature person (yep...even at 30, we can still mature!) and with a set of cycling sisters that have an amazing knack for making me feel welcome, needed, appreciated, and loved. Thank you to my pals in pink.

When I look back at this year, I realize how lucky I am. I may not make loads of money and drive a fancy car, but I believe that I am happier than many people who do. I see my life as complete. So, to all of you who have made my life better this year and all years...THANK YOU! As it says on one of my mom's old coffee mugs, "Friends are the marshmallows in the hot chocolate of life." Thanks for being sweet and fluffy! Have a safe, warm, wonderful holiday!

No comments: