Friday, March 27, 2009

Car Shopping

I enjoy car shopping. The internet kind of car shopping...where you hop onto various websites and build your car. It's fun. I enjoy seeing just how much it might cost me to replace poor Esther the Escort who is slowly kicking the bucket. She's been a great car. I certainly can't complain about her. For $5000, we've driven her pretty much into the ground. Unfortunately, it's to the point now that it just doesn't make much sense to put a few hundred dollars into her to fix all the stuff that's broken or breaking (clutch, rear wiper, entire interior panel, strange rattling noise coming from the undercarriage, etc.).

So...we have begun the internet search for a new vehicle. I have only a few minor demands on my new machine.
  1. Must be a hatchback. In order to carry bikes and gear to and from races, I need a hatchback. No sedans for me!
  2. Must have power locks and windows - I am more than tired of climbing around the car to open windows and unlock doors.
  3. Must be cheap but safe! I want a car with a nice warranty, nice safety features, and a nice price tag. Is that too much to ask for?

Here are a few of my options and my opinions about the options:

Hyundai Accent
Uber-cute. Very small, very cheap. Great warranty. Not the snazzy-est car ever made.


Honda Fit
I personally think it's UGLY! Although it is rated #1 on the Consumer list of small cars.

Toyota Yaris
CUTEST THING EVER!
Totally love it...perfect car for someone MY AGE! :)

Kia Rio
Nice...cute...a little pricey.

My DREAM car...Volvo C30. Droooooool.

Who wants to help me pick out my new baby?

2 comments:

JB said...

I suggest taking a look at the VW Rabbit. VW's quality issues have improved significantly in recent years; they're packed with a lot of standard features; performance, economy and price are decent.

Or you wait for the diesel version of the GTI: The GTD. A hot hatch that gets 45mpg.

Choppah said...

I love the Rabbit. but, it's a few thousand dollars out of our price range I think! :(