Tuesday, March 02, 2010

The Slavedriver!

So, after months of attempting to schedule a team ride with Mike, we finally got most of the team together for a good butt-kickin! Grizzly, Badger, Mitch, Wendy and I headed down to Mike's place for the first official team training session. I admit that I was a little nervous about meeting the man that Wendy and Badger refer to as "The Slavedriver."

We arrived at Mike's place and were greeted at the door by his son Aaron, who took one look at us, screamed at the top of his lungs, and ran away laughing! This kid is so cute...and gigantic. I thought he was at least 4 and he's only 2 1/2. Of course, when your dad is 6 foot something-or-other, I guess you don't grow slowly.

Eventually, we got everyone together at the house, geared up, hot balmed the heck out of our legs (promoted by the off and on snow that was taking place outside), and talked a bit about the day. Mike was great. He spent some time talking to Alaina and I - getting to know us as people and as riders. Asking us about our strengths and weaknesses, our goals for the season, and just watching us on the bike. It reminded me a lot of the first time I met G - these two are shaped from the same mold.

We hit the road and spent some time just riding together. We did some paceline work, which was great, because I think it was the first time that we really *rode* together the way we might ride in a race. It gave me a sense for how the other gals handle their bikes, what they look like when they're cranking a steady pace, what they look like when they're twitching up for a sprint, etc. That, to me, is so important. I want to be able to look down at Mitch's legs and think, "Oh, yeah, I can see the sprint brewing there, let me get up and lead her out."

In fact, it was the first time I had ridden outside with Mitch! In fact, the last time I saw her was back in October when I had my first visit (tryout?) with the team. I've MISSED her! We had a great time giggling and laughing together.

I realize that somehow...not sure how...I managed to find another team that has what Sturdy Girl has - that *thing.* It's that unquantifiable element that allows for strong bonds to form between women. Not only is it immeasurable, but it is RARE. I've been on teams since I was 6. Once I hit high school, I saw the opposite of this *thing.* Girls that just cannot handle the successes of other women, the badmouthing, the team that really isn't a team.

But, somehow, as I've reached my late 20s and 30s, karma turned around on me and helped me to find not one, but two teams on which I feel such amazing camaraderie, such honesty, such strong but reliable personalities. I THOUGHT that I had found this with CAWES when I first met the team...but now, I KNOW that I have. I'm so thankful. I hope that I can be the teammate that I want to be for these women. I know that I will give EVERYTHING within my self to be that teammate.

No comments: