Monday, February 18, 2013

Snark Alert! The List of Things that I Don't Understand

There are a lot of things that I don't understand... nuclear physics, for example.  And String Theory.  And the lyrics to most Nirvana songs. 

But, this is a list of current popular culture items that simply exist outside the range of my ability to comprehend.  And, yes, I know that it makes me sound like an old fuddy-duddy to make this list.  But, it's fun to question the "genius" of pop culture fads now and again.  I mean, things were so awesomely cool and hip when I was younger!  ;)  I don't mind being a cranky pants on a Monday morning, but these were just some things that I was considering on the train on the way in to work today...

1.  Uggs being worn as daily shoes - particularly in the summer.  This was never their intended function, and the thought of sweaty feet inside sheepskin on a 90 degree July day in Philadelphia is just... well... icky.

2.  Leggings and Jeggings and any other knit/spandex type of "pant" being worn without something covering the crotch and/or butt (unless you are working out at the gym).  I have never seen so many women (and the occasional man) with their pants sucked into their butt cracks or their camel-toed hoo-has hanging out before.  Ewww... no one wants to see that!!  Why do they think that this looks attractive? 

3.  Reality TV Shows.  In particular, I refer to the ones that PAY PEOPLE MONEY to behave like brain-addled idiots for "entertainment" purposes (Jersey Shore, Buck Wild, Honey Boo Boo, etc).  Why, excatly, is this conceived of as entertainment?  It's lowering the National IQ, you know.  And producing a culture of people who believe that they can get rich with a viral YouTube video.  Which brings me to #4

4.  Viral Videos.  Someone jumps off of their roof into a kiddy pool full of beer and a zillion people watch this, thinks it's hilarious, and the idiot who broke his face ends up on the national morning news.  Ummmm.... I just have nothing more to say on this.

5.  Gagnam Style.  Oy.  'Nuff said.

6.  The Harlem Shake.  See #5... And #4.

Now, please understand that I'm open to someone trying to help me to understand these things.  This isn't just randomly hating on them... they truly and honestly exist outside of my realm of understanding.  I find absolutely ZERO entertainment from a large majority of Reality Shows - this doesn't mean all of them, just the ones that capitalize on and pay people for their stupidity.  So, I'm interested in seeing if I can expand my comprehension of this stuff.

Look - I can't stand the art of Cy Twombley - I wouldn't hang it in my house if he hand delivered a work to my front door and paid ME for it, but I have an understanding and appreciation for it on an academic and artistic level.  Perhaps someone out there can do the same for me on this stuff?

No comments: