OK - so... It's been nearly a month since I posted! That's mainly because this last month has been so fun and so busy and so full of stuff that I've just been unable to sit down for three seconds to write something silly on here!
Alas... my three seconds arrived this morning. So, here goes...
The trip to the Netherlands was amazing. Leiden was such a lovely little town with the most amazing people. The Dutch are truly wonderful. They are kind, friendly, laid back, and welcoming. When I got back home, I immediately started searching for Art History jobs in the Netherlands! I'd live there in a heartbeat... even if it is cold in the winter!
Speaking of cold winters... the weather was typically Dutch. The two days that I was in the conference were pretty... cold, but sunny and nice. The two days that I spent wandering Amsterdam were snowy and rainy! LOL! Needless to say, I didn't even take my big camera out of the bag. I did snap some shots with my point and shoot...
My talk went VERY well! The folks at the conference were really interested in my topic and in my analysis of the photographs. I got lots of questions and comments (ALWAYS a good sign at an academic event) and quite a few folks wanted to hear more about it afterward! I'll be presenting the paper again at the PMA Symposium in April (VERY excited about that), so I look forward to another chance to get some feedback on it!
All in all, the trip was really amazing. I feel so unbelievably lucky to have gone and to have had the chance to experience such an amazing international event. The one night at dinner, I realized that I was sitting down to each with two Dutchmen, a Brit, a Spaniard (and yes, of course he was cute), an Israeli, a Bosnian, and a Pole. They were all incredibly intelligent and so interesting to speak with.
So, a few final thoughts about the trip...
1. Whenever possible - fly British Airways - they ROCK.
2. I am so grateful to Laura for telling me about airbnb.com. The flat in Leiden was a great find and it was so nice to have a "home" to go back to each night.
3. Euro travel is expensive - thank god for work and school related reimbursements - come on, Dollar, get your act together!!
4. Americans know SQUAT about traveling to Europe. Even though I was assured by my credit card company that I would be able to use my credit card, it was USELESS on the continent sans handy-dandy little Euro-chip thingy. Thank god my ATM card worked and I had pre-paid for the hotels!
5. I LOVE the Netherlands. I could live there in a heartbeat. The vibe of the place is absolutely charming and... there are bikes EVERYWHERE!!
6. I already hope to plan a return visit... Lindsay family, expect a visit from us one day!!
7. I missed Chuck terribly during the trip. Mainly because I know that he would have enjoyed it so much. I look forward to the day that he and I wander the canals of Bruges, Utrecht, Rotterdam, and Amsterdam together! :)
I am happy to be home. The dissertation is coming along well. I've applied for graduation, ordered my cap and gown, and made sure that all of the proper paperwork is filled out and filed. The end is nigh, my friends. Very, very nigh!
No comments:
Post a Comment