So, the race started out as I expected. Chris had two teammates working for her, and Meredith and I were clearly marked riders. Every move we made was covered by a rider from CRCA. They launched a few attacks, but it was mostly just to make us chase. The race was definitely dictated by the 35+ riders, which was fine by me.
We came into the finish of lap 1 all together. Then, I launched an attack. I got away with one of the CRCA riders and made a decent gap on the field. Of course, she wouldn't work (I didn't even ask her to pull through, as I know the game well enough!!). We stayed away for a large portion of the final lap until we were pulled back in by a group of 6 that included Chris from CRCA and Meredith. OK... the podium was set... now, what would the order be?
As soon as we were caught, Chris launched a counter-attack. Somewhere in there, I found the legs to hop up onto her wheel, which caused her to shut down and come back into the group. Meredith (my top secret collaborator for the day) went to the front and set a nice, steady pace that would deter any additional attacks, but still let me get my legs back together.
I sat in for the remainder of the final lap, waiting for the sprint and hoping that I hadn't burned my legs out too much. I felt confident coming into the final hill, but knew that this was not going to be easy. As the speed ramped up, I sat in a good position behind Chris, her teammate, and Meredith. When a gap opened and I saw my shot, I took it. I launched up the climb toward the line and just gritted my teeth. I was 3rd across the line behind Kristie Nichols (a PA rider from QCW) and Jacqui Paull (a NJ rider in the 45+ category).
I did it! I was the first 35+ woman across the line!
I'm super happy to have the gold medal and championship jersey for another year! And, I'm happy to have shared a podium with two stand-up ladies who raced hard and definitely made this a great day!
On Sunday, we hit the road south for the MABRA Championship race in Frederick, MD. It was a stacked field. Did I mention that it was stacked? I mean... stacked. By the way... the field was STACKED.
OK... on to the race.
It was just me and BChan, with a Finkrafty Meredith by our side again (have I mentioned how much I adore this woman?? She is radder than rad!). We had a feeling that it was going to come down to a sprint... the only team out in force was Artemis, and we weren't sure what their tactic might be. So, we knew that we would need to be reactive to the big names in the field (Alexis Zink, Michelle Miller, Mary Breed, Sue McQuiston, etc.), and be ready for a wicked fast leadout for BChan at the end.
Meredith and I rode near the front for nearly the whole race. Which was good, because it was a bit of a Sketchtober Fest out there! Amazing that we didn't have any crashes... but, I digress.
We made sure that we stayed on any moves that looked like they were dangerous. I even launched an attach of my own, getting off the front solo for a few laps before being pulled back in. Hey... I gotta try, right?!? :)
In the end, it all stayed pretty much together and it was my job to get BChan to the front for the leadout. She rolled up next to me, and I knew that was my queue. I made a move up to the front with her on my wheel, just as we rolled through with 1 to go. As we made the first turn, she began directing me, "Go, Chop!" "Harder, Chop!" "MORE, CHOP!" That BChan is a slave driver! :) It was GREAT!!! I made it through turn 3 before my legs began to blow... I ramped it up one final time and then she and the field came around me! I was DONE. And, by done, I mean, dropped it immediately into my small chain ring and pedaled one watt through to the finish line.
We timed it a bit too early, but BChan held on for a 5th place podium finish.
All said and done, it was a fun weekend of racing for the CAWES ladies. Thanks to the promoters for continuing to give us ladies the chance to rip each other's legs off and race our bikes!


No comments:
Post a Comment