I tried, as always, to get away from the field. I'm still feeling good from my time at ToAD - despite a little hamstring tendon soreness that popped up this week - so I'm going to ride that high for as long as possible. I was super attentive to BChan during the race, too. Wanting to make sure that, since they weren't letting me get anywhere, that she was comfortable and safe in the group.
We took a couple of primes - mine was for coffee (yes, and thank you!). And, then this happened...
BChan took the win! It was one of our better lead outs in terms of timing. She and I are REALLY getting a nice rhythm going and have had some really quality lead outs in the last couple of races. I LOVE being a lead out rider, as I know that my sprint is not going to take me to the line in most fields. Leading her out and watching her kill it is a really, really awesome feeling!
I then hopped in the 45+ field with Kelley to do a little more top end riding and just hang at the back. For the most part, it was great. She and I ride with quite a few of these guys every week at Greentree, so they know us and are pretty awesome. Ron Short caught both Kelley and I in this photo on his GoPro!
And, she and I are respectful of the fact that we're in a men's race. We just sit toward the back. We aren't there to contest sprints or primes. We're solid wheels (or so I was told post race by at least two guys), and we're just there for some training. Apparently, much like the drivers who want to kill cyclists just because we're there, some men become angry jerk-wads just because we're there.
I was amazed that she and I were harassed mid-race by one of the riders. I admit that I probably riled him up by calling him on some of his dangerous moves. But, he's a Cat 1, so CLEARLY, he knows how to ride his bike. Plus, me... being a lowly woman... should not dare to CORRECT his dangerous riding when it threatens my health and well-being. He cut me off once, pushing me toward the curb and into the one sandy section on the course. We were at the back, so his move was unnecessary and dangerous. I told him that, "Hey, dude... not necessary."
On the next lap, he decided that, once again, it was necessary to squeeze in between me and the curb to move up from 35th to 33rd position. I said, "That's TWICE... come on, man!" He pulled in front of me, and began to gesture for me to leave the race, while he basically brake checked me. OK... he was going to try to crash me out. I opened my big mouth again and said, "Yeah, dude... real classy."
I then watched him make some equally squirrely moves around some of the other guys (moving up on the right, along the curb, in a curve, with about 5 inches of room). Decision made - this guy is an idiot. I avoided him for the remainder of the race, as he moved to the front. He came back to the back again at the end and kept looking over his shoulder at me. This time, I said nothing and just rode my bike.
After the race, I not only heard numerous guys complaining about him, but Kelley had left the race because he had deliberately cut her off and gestured for her to leave the race, too. And, after brushing his wheel as he crossed two bikes in front of her, she did. For her own safety and fear that he would, in fact, cause her to go down.
I was shocked by this behavior. Truly. What was the danger in us being there? I can tell you for CERTAIN, that I was a stronger, safer, and more steady wheel than quite a few of the men in that race. I was at the back. I was not bothering anyone. Other than the fact that I called this guy out on being dangerous - which he IS - what was the problem for him that I was there?
I am a woman.
That's it.
Period. End of story.
In fact, he was ballsy enough to say this to some of my friends who asked him what his problem was and why he was being a jerk to Kelley and me. "Because women don't belong in our race." Wow. OK. Noted - you're a sexist pig. Got it.
Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. But, when someone does something stupid and dangerous on a training ride, training crit, race, etc. I tell them. It's important to tell someone if they're dangerous. Maybe they don't know it. Maybe they don't realize what they've just done and telling them will make them more aware in the future. I don't know... but, I do know one thing... I am allowed to race in men's fields. I am capable of racing in men's fields. And, I will continue to race in men's fields when I deem it necessary.
I appreciate that Danger Dude's girlfriend apologized to Kelley and I on his behalf. She's a quality racer and woman and I am sorry that she felt that she needed to be sorry for him. But, I appreciate that she did. I *hope* that he eventually feels sorry - or is shamed enough by his fellow gentlemen racers to understand that his actions were dangerous and wrong. But, I'm not holding my breath on that one. I know to avoid him (and keep my female yap shut) in the future.
Oh, and to the dude who kept looking over his shoulder as we came to the finish to make sure that "a girl" didn't beat him in the sprint - nice job man... you got me!

No comments:
Post a Comment