Monday, August 15, 2016

There's No "I" in TEAM

I've been a "teammate" for as long as I can remember.  As a soccer player, as a cross-country runner, as a swimmer, and as a cyclist... I was always a "teammate," never just an athlete on a team.

To me, it's one of the best things to be.  It allows you to become better by surrounding yourself with those that bring you up.  It allows you to become better by focusing on bringing others around you to another level of success.  And, most important, perhaps... it makes life fundamentally better to be around people who have your back in the truest sense.

As the Olympics continue on and athletes (often seen as individual competitors) try to perform to their highest level, I am reminded that "team" is a word that some simply don't understand.  And, to be honest... this makes me sad.  Sad for those people who just don't get it.

Sad for someone who looks at a young female athlete and says, "Cycling isn't a team sport." To me, this may be one of the most inane and ridiculous things I've ever heard someone say.  I guess that person never saw this...

https://www.facebook.com/VW/videos/10157244242760790/

...where the first words out of the mouth of the National Champion of the US is "Cycling IS such a team sport."

But, I guess if you're not a "teammate," it's hard to understand these things.  If you're not a "teammate," you don't SEE what others do for you.  If you're not a "teammate," you only see what you do... and think that's all that happened to achieve success.  If you're not a "teammate," you don't truly understand sacrifice and therefore cannot understand how someone else would sacrifice for your success.  If you're not a "teammate..."  well, you're just not a "teammate."

And, for some people, I'm sure that's a wonderful thing to be... "not a teammate."  For now.  But, the funny thing is... LIFE is about being a "teammate."

I am my husband's "teammate."  We are in this life together and our partnership makes our life successful.

I am my family's "teammate." We are stuck with each other forever and must be on the same team to ensure the success of our family - our parents, our kids, their kids, etc.

I am my coworkers' "teammate."  If I drop the ball, everyone suffers and is impacted.

I am my friends' "teammate."  If I fail to support them when they need me, then I'm no sort of friend at all.

I am my teammates' "teammate."  They count on me to do my job to the best of my ability so that they can better do theirs!

Considering all of this, how can every sport not be about TEAM?

http://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/August/14/For-US-Swimmers-Team-Effort-Brought-Stunning-Success-In-An-Individual-Sport

Considering all of this, how can every aspect of life not be about TEAM?

The best part of all of this?  We most often get to choose our teammates!!  It's our opportunity to be surrounded by amazing people.  Our chance to dedicate ourselves to those that we care deeply about and who share our desire to achieve greatness together.  Our chance to assemble our very own "Dream Team."

So, choose your "teammates" wisely, people... and know that in the end... very few will care about what you did on your own, they will actually care about the good you did for those around you.  The good you did for the "teammates" of your life.

No comments: