Today still doesn't seem quite real. The loss of my father in law is really just too great to fathom right now. We had so many things we wanted to do. So many things we wanted to SAY. But, no time in which to do or say enough.
Still, I need to try to remember and hold onto everything that I can.
I need to remember how I felt the day that I realized I was dating "the Captain's son." And, how scared I was of him at first!
I need to remember how he treated me like his daughter from DAY ONE.
I need to hold dear the way in which he welcomed me into his home - literally giving me a place to live every summer for 6+ years.
I need to bask in how he welcomed me into his family, how he cared so deeply about his son and about me to always be there for us.
I need to remember the sound of his voice when he'd walk into the room and say, "What's up, Bub?"
And even more the sound of him yelling, "Get your shit and GIT!" after morning roll call.
I need to hold close the eye rolls and silly grins and laughs and hugs.
I need to remember that so many of the things that were wonderful about Charlie exist in his son.
- Their FIERCE love and loyalty for their friends and families.
- Their love of sports, sports history, and sports factoids.
- Their love of books - which they often shared back and forth.
- Their refusal to wear pants! Who needs pants, when you have shorts???
- Their love of the beach and the water.
- Their dedication as coaches and teachers - changing the lives of kids who didn't have much, but who had desire and talent.
- The way that the are and were loved by SO many people.
And, some of the not-so-wonderful parts, too - the snoring for example, right, Debbie???
I know that our lives will never be the same, now that Charlie is gone. But, I know that my life is better for having had him in it. After all, he gave me my Chuck. And, I can never thank him enough for that.
And, I will keep my final promise to him... I will take care of your boy, Chal. Until my dying day.










No comments:
Post a Comment