Thursday, July 27, 2017

Come on You SPURS!!

I woke up yesterday morning with a sore face.  Yes, you read that correctly.  My cheeks were killing me.  And, then I remembered why; I spent about 2.5 hours the evening before with the stupidest giant grin on my face.  I was sitting 8 rows from the pitch watching my favorite British soccer team play on NJ soil.  I simply couldn't stop smiling, even after they lost the match.  Boooooo!



I've been a Tottenham Hotspur fan for I don't even know how many years now.  Originally, they became "my" team because of this website.  Now, the description of the Spurs that appeared there many years ago was different than what you see today... naturally.  But, I remember it talking about their gumption and guts, their lack of swagger, and their raw talent.  And, it talked about their fans.  Loyal folks who stand by them whether they win or lose, play great or fumble around the pitch like their cleats are 7 sizes too big.  It was that description of loyalty that sounded to me like a Detroit Red Wings fan!  We love our wings, no matter what.  And, yes, Steve Yzerman IS the best captain the NHL ever saw.  Period.  Done.  End of argument.  (Don't even start with me, Mr. Porkchop!!)


Sitting in that stadium and watching these guys play was truly awesome.  After all, it may well have been (though I sincerely hope NOT) a once in a lifetime chance to see them play in person.  The stadium was primarily Spurs fans - maybe a 75-25 split? - so, it felt very much like being at a "home game."  That made it equally awesome - with the local Spurs club leading chants from the seats behind the goal and "Come on, you Spurs!" occasionally echoing through the stadium as a whole.

#33 - my favorite player, Ben Davies

#23 Christian Erickson... watching him play was AMAZING.  The guy is EVERYWHERE at once.  

Leaping up from my seat when the Spurs finally saw the back of the net was so awesome!  Even though a draw was thwarted by a pretty ugly goal by Roma with just a few seconds left to play, I cannot express how happy I was to have been there.  What a game!


A huge thanks goes out to my fellow match goers: Brian, Don, Bill, Rich, and Dexter.  Watching Dexter's eyes turn into saucers when he got 8 rows up from the pitch was amazing.  I am so glad that I shared that experience with all of you.

No comments: