Thursday, September 24, 2009

U2/Muse Concert

While the drive home is one I would certainly like to forget (the torrential downpour and massive 90 mph semi-trucks who were oblivious to it did not make for a pleasant drive home), I will not likely soon forget the concert from last night.

It was a surprisingly easy drive up to Giant Stadium. No traffic to speak of, 70+ mph the whole way, and right into the parking lot without a single issue. I was pretty early because I was so afraid of sitting in traffic for 4 hours, so I just camped out in my hatchback, reading a book, drinking some yummy Mike's Hard Pomegranate Lemonade (yum, yum) and listening to U2.

The rest of the crew showed up a while later and we had a nice little tailgater before heading inside. The stage was incredible. A full 360 degree stage (hence the tour name) allowed for there to be very few "bad" seats in the house. We were up high in the stadium, but in a great spot to look right down onto the stage and see EVERYTHING! It was, in my opinion, far better than being across the stadium from them in the first row of seats!
Muse came on a little after 7pm. They ROCKED Giant Stadium. They played some phenomenal tunes, including some of my faves. I was really, really impressed with them. Seeing them live certainly inspired me to come home and gather together as much of their stuff as I can.

I tried to take some videos...but my poor little camera could not handle the sound level. So, while the videos are pretty cool visually, the sound is just a bunch of screeching noise. I figured, best not to load them here! :(

A short while after Muse left the stage, it was time for the big guys to take over. The Major Tom entry was pretty funny, actually, with the pinnacle at the top of the giant olive green tarantula with bright gold buttons! But, when the house lights dropped, the crowd went mad. It was incredible.




They played a lot of stuff I was expecting...starting with a few from the new album and then heading into some of their older stuff (Breathe, No Line on the Horizon, Where the Streets Have No Name, Sunday Bloody Sunday). However, it should be noted that their arrangement for I Know I'll Go Crazy, If I Don't Go Crazy was...well, CRAZY GOOD! Larry Mullen leaving the drum kit to walk the catwalk with a bongo was so cool. It's one of my favorite songs from the new album and it was really good to hear it all funky-like! They played a few that I wouldn't have expected, but knew were coming from others who had seen them already (Ultraviolet). And they played a few that I had no reason to expect (The Unforgettable Fire, Your Blue Room, MLK)! All in all, it was an incredible show (not that I expected any less).

Thanks again to Fred and Beth for making it possible for me to see this show and to Corinne for being a great concert partner! Any time, my friend...any time!

No comments: