Yesterday was stage one of the Fitchburg Longsjo Classic. Unlike last year, which started with the TT - thus effectively settling the major GC contenders from the start, this year's race began with the circuit race.
The circuit race last year was evil fast. I survived two laps with the field and finished just south of top 90 (92 out of 108)! This year, the field is quite a bit smaller - with only 90 women racing. The race was a bit more controlled, and I managed to make it up the wall of the circuit with the field 6 times. The hardest part of this race is holding on as the pack makes the right-hander just on top of the wall and punches it. I got gapped here this year and just couldn't get my legs to turn over fast enough to keep with it. I worked hard with a group of about 11 to conserve our losses and get to the finish line. I was racing with Amanda, Emily, and Kristine, so my weekend teammates were with me, which was nice! I managed to finish 60th this year. Can't be too upset with that, as I feel like I raced a lot better than last year.


Patty was a BEAST today and finished 8th! WOW! She's so cute and humble about it, saying that she was just lucky! I told her that I could have been lucky, too...but I would have had to be up in the front of the pack first, which I wasn't! She really had a great race and I think she'll do equally well today. I think that she could end up in the break today if she is in the right place and "gets lucky" again! I'm really hoping she does - this is going to be a GREAT weekend for her!
Today is the Road Race. Wachusett mountain - here we come! I loved this course last year. Hope I feel the same way about it this year!
No comments:
Post a Comment