Friday, July 09, 2010

Fitchy - the Crit

I was pretty determined this year to have a decent Crit race. Now, I am not really a crit rider. I get a tinge twitchy in packs and always end up surfing the back end of the field in an attempt to survive to the finish. But, if I can finish and feel good about the race, then I am typically satisfied. Especially in this case. After all, I was unable to finish the Crit last year, and I had been experiencing a pretty up and down weekend as it was. I wanted to end on an "up." For me, an "up" was simple....finish with the field.

The race started out as expected...fast, but not screaming. This was aided by the fact that it was nearly 97 degrees when we started racing. Geez...it was HOT. The course felt better this year, although I still found that I would lose ground coming through the downhill section and gain ground on the uphill - I think I relax too much when I'm going downhill. I need to work on PUSHING the downhill sections as hard as the uphill ones. But, I digress.

The race had some punchy spots where Colavita or someone else drilled it at the front. But, on the whole, I thought that it was a lot like Somerville. It was doable. I surfed the back, in typical fashion, for the race, and managed to finish with the field! YAY!

It's weird that even though this was an NRC race, there are literally no photos anywhere. Nothing on Velonews or Cycling News, and I haven't been able to find many in other places either. If anyone had photos...let me know! :)

I took some well deserved time off this week and started my research Fellowship at Winterthur. Very excited about both of these things and am working hard and finding awesome stuff in my research so far. Can't wait to get this thing DONE!!

No comments: