To be honest, I was NOT looking forward to this weekend of races. I was feeling really tired from Fitchburg and really sick of traveling. I didn't want to spend another couple of hours in the car, I didn't want to leave the house again, and I just didn't feel like racing. One thing I did feel like? Being with my teammates. I miss those girls when I don't get to see them for a while, and I was really looking forward to racing with Robin again (she's been hard at work on a trial and not able to train and race with us!).
So, with a tired heart, I got up early Saturday morning, got my gear together, and waited for Alaina to pick me up. Things began looking even more distasterous as we spent the entire 3 hour drive to Hagerstown for the MABRA championships in the pouring rain. Fantastic.
However, once we arrived, it was like Hagerstown had borrowed Morey's dome from Wildwood. The sun was out and the humidity was lower...it was looking like a beautiful day for a bike race. The field was strong - Heidi Goldberg, Laurel Larsen and Emma Swatman were there and Sara Caravella decided to show up. Whee!
It was NOT an easy race. There were attacks thrown right from the start - people were really interested in making this a real race. We had a GREAT race. We were really smart - sending Alaina off in a break a few times, launching some strong attacks, and covering everything that looked like it was going to go. At one point, Emma had taken a flyer and I started to chase her back in. Once I got to her, I just gunned it and kept going. I got away and a few minutes later Iliana Knopf bridged up to me. With 7 to go, we were off the front. We held the break until the start of 1 lap to go! :( Sara had decided that she wanted to bring us back...and she did. The field came around and I sat in, hoping for a decent shot at the sprint. I lost a bit of positioning on the last corner, but held on for 8th overall and 6th in the 1/2 field. Sonja was 3rd, which was a great finish. Emma won the Cat 3 championship and Sara won the 1/2.
I felt GREAT being in the break and have been dying to get into one for a while. I really had hoped that it was going to stick - and we worked like dogs to make it happen. Still - I won $25 and a case of beer, so I can't complain! ;)
Sunday was the Capitol Crit. What a neat race! We literally turned a left-hander on the course and come down Pennsylvania ave toward the Capitol building and then make a 180 degree turn to head back to the start/finish. So neat to race in the shadow of the FBI building and Capitol Hill. The whole team was on hand for this one, which was great. The field, again, was really strong. Kenda had a whole squad out in force and Laura McCaughey and Rebecca Wellons showed up, just to keep it interesting! of course, we also had Leslie Jennings, Erin Silliman and Amanda Watson, among others.
The race was nice and speedy again. There was a nice uphill block on the course that could have been significant, but really played only a minor role. Rebecca and Loz launched a lot of attacks in various places on the course. Sonja also launched a few - as did Emma. A lot of other riders sat in and just held position - including me!
With 2 to go, Jay yells at me from the sideline, "Go, Sarah! NOW!" So, I went. I shot up the hill and into the 2nd turn. I really didn't get away at all, but I did managed to string things out and keep anyone else from launching. I was hoping that Sonja would either sit in a good position and wait out the finish, or launch herself at some point to see what might happen. She took some major risks on the last lap to try to get away, but it came down to a bunch sprint. Loz took the win with Sonja in 9th and I was 13th (I think). We didn't wait around for official results, so we'll just have to see when they get posted.
So, despite my poopy attitude on Friday night and Saturday morning, bemoaning that I had to go race, it was a fun weekend. As always, we LOVE getting the chance to stay with Badger and Jay - who are the BEST hosts and welcome us so warmly into their home on the weekends. It was nice to share my beer win with them and I can't wait to hang with them again!
Nice job this weekend, CAWES! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment