And, I'm now a Master.
That's right, I turned 35 this year and, according to USA Cycling, that makes me a Master's racer. I remember a friend once saying, "Oh, yeah, I registered for the Master's race. I figured that would be easier than racing against the 20 something's in the 3/4 field." I nearly spit out my Gatorade.
The Master's women are probably some of the fastest, smartest, savviest, and nicest women out there. There's a reason that they're Masters - they've been around the sport long enough to have made their way in it. Racing in the Master's field pits you against amazing Cat 1 and 2 riders from the region and beyond. I wish that it were easier just cause these ladies are "old" like me... but, it's not. Still - I look forward to the opportunity to race a few events in a day (I will be able to do the 1/2/3 and then turn around and do the 35+) and to race against women that are mature, powerful, and safe riders.
I hope that I am able to learn from these ladies as I continue the endless journey of development in this sport. Let me tell you something... anyone who tells you that they have this sport all figured out is either a delusional goofball or has been at it for decades. That's part of the reason that I love this sport so much.
Ride on, friends... Ride on.
No comments:
Post a Comment