Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Iron Hill Twilight CRAP

I know that I'm not even able to race right now, but I was hoping that by July I'd be back in the mix.  Probably off the back of the mix, but at least getting to the start line with my ladies.  With that in mind, I was thinking that I've always wanted to do the Iron Hill Twilight Crit.  I missed racing it last year because of my shoulder, but I was there cheering on a teammate and thought it was so awesome. 

So, I thought that perhaps, perchance, maybe I'd be able to try it out this year.  Until a friend emailed me very confused about the start time.  "Why does BikeReg say that the women's race starts at 9am?"  I looked it, up and responded the only way I could, "Because that's apparently when it starts."

WHAT THE HELL?!?!

Not only have the promoters of this raced slapped the Women's PROFESSIONAL/Cat 1/2/3 field in the face by putting us at 9:00 in the morning when the major crowds come out for what used to be the Men's and Women's Pro fields at the twilight crit in the evening.  But, they've also seen fit to have the women's payout at $400... split among the top 10 finishers.  To put this in perspective, the Men's pro payout is $15,000.  Yes, that's THREE zeros there.  ONE of these slaps would be enough to cause some women to boycott the race.  But you've given us the old Three Stooges one-two.  And, we're NOT stooges. 

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't expect the payouts to be equal.  That's a HUGE rarity in our sport, and I understand and respect why it doesn't happen often.  I am ok with that.  But $400???  Why not just give us medals and call it a day.  You're asking women who have reached the top domestic tier of our sport to show up to an event that clearly believes that women are not worth ANYTHING. 

It's OFFENSIVE Iron Hill Twilight Crit.  I know many women that are planning to boycott this race.  And, I know that there are a lot of top MEN who are skipping it for the first time this year as well.  I can assure you that NONE of my teammates will be attending this event.  And, I'd be surprised if you get enough amazing, fast, dedicated, and awesome women to even pay 10 deep.

Shame on you. 

4 comments:

Ky said...

I was actually thinking of flying out to race this, as there are no races like it out here. Now, however, NO WAY.

Choppah said...

Why waste your time and money. That would be better spent coming to my graduation party!! :) xo

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you tell their sorry asses!!!!

Choppah said...

Thanks for your support, Mr. Porkchop. ;)