
Yes, that's right. I did NOT feel like this:
I felt like this:
Here is my race report from that day...just so I can enjoy how far I've come after I kick that hill's butt this weekend!!! :)Race Date, Event and Description: April 14th, 2007 Mt. Joy Road Race in Lancaster Co., PA. Four times around 5.7 mile loop. Rolling hills throughout most of the course, with one whopper in the middle. Chilly temps for this morning, but not too bad. A bit of a wind along on side in particular, but a great winding back half protected from the wind, and LOTS of fun!
Number of Sturdy Girls: 5 Sturdies raced and finished the Day: Dana, Sally, Mary, Sarah and Bonnie. 34 women were registered for the race, unsure at this time how many actually rode. Official results put Dana in 4th place, Mary in 5th… Sally, Sarah, and Bonnie all finished but are awaiting posting online to see our places! BTW - they never showed because the promoter stopped placing people who were flushed out the back! :)
Describe what was fun and/or challenging about the event: The course, for me at least, was challenging. There was a bit of a headwind on the first quarter coming across the cornfields that was tough when you were on your own, but certainly doable. The consistent rollers over most of the course were great; most of the time you came down one hill and just popped up and over the next one. There were a few that were decent climbs that you had to work on, but most were fun and fast. Toward the back half of the course, there were lots of great twists and turns to keep you on your feet and having fun. The big hill at roughly the middle of the course was really a tough one. It was steep and long with a little flat spot toward the top with another little finishing bump! This one served as a nice way to break up the pack! It kicked my behind on lap two! I wasn’t sure (to be honest) if I was going to make it up that one two more times, but I did and we all did! With the road going over the highway at the finish, it gave you one final up and down to kick to the finish. According to Dana and Mary, the final sprint started very early and was tough, but they both rocked it out to finish in the Top Five!
Describe what the team/individual learned from the race:
1. We were REALLY lucky to have nice weather for the race. Considering the wind Friday night and the weather forecast for Sunday, we squeezed a great day out of the middle.
2. Previewing the course helps! I heard rumors of the “steep hill” on the back half of the course, but was not really ready for it. I’m not sure if seeing it ahead of time would have helped or just worried me more, but I would have liked to know exactly what “steep” meant!
3. Keep your brain in the race! Just because you’ve been dropped from the group does NOT mean that you are out of the race! You’ve just decided to make it a Time Trial! :)
4. Be aggressive! Don’t let those gals push you around…hold your spot and hold your ground. Take it when you see the open slot and don’t look back!
Number of Sturdy Girls: 5 Sturdies raced and finished the Day: Dana, Sally, Mary, Sarah and Bonnie. 34 women were registered for the race, unsure at this time how many actually rode. Official results put Dana in 4th place, Mary in 5th… Sally, Sarah, and Bonnie all finished but are awaiting posting online to see our places! BTW - they never showed because the promoter stopped placing people who were flushed out the back! :)
Describe what was fun and/or challenging about the event: The course, for me at least, was challenging. There was a bit of a headwind on the first quarter coming across the cornfields that was tough when you were on your own, but certainly doable. The consistent rollers over most of the course were great; most of the time you came down one hill and just popped up and over the next one. There were a few that were decent climbs that you had to work on, but most were fun and fast. Toward the back half of the course, there were lots of great twists and turns to keep you on your feet and having fun. The big hill at roughly the middle of the course was really a tough one. It was steep and long with a little flat spot toward the top with another little finishing bump! This one served as a nice way to break up the pack! It kicked my behind on lap two! I wasn’t sure (to be honest) if I was going to make it up that one two more times, but I did and we all did! With the road going over the highway at the finish, it gave you one final up and down to kick to the finish. According to Dana and Mary, the final sprint started very early and was tough, but they both rocked it out to finish in the Top Five!
Describe what the team/individual learned from the race:
1. We were REALLY lucky to have nice weather for the race. Considering the wind Friday night and the weather forecast for Sunday, we squeezed a great day out of the middle.
2. Previewing the course helps! I heard rumors of the “steep hill” on the back half of the course, but was not really ready for it. I’m not sure if seeing it ahead of time would have helped or just worried me more, but I would have liked to know exactly what “steep” meant!
3. Keep your brain in the race! Just because you’ve been dropped from the group does NOT mean that you are out of the race! You’ve just decided to make it a Time Trial! :)
4. Be aggressive! Don’t let those gals push you around…hold your spot and hold your ground. Take it when you see the open slot and don’t look back!
BRING ON THE JOY, BABY!
No comments:
Post a Comment