Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sniff, Sniff...What's That Smell?

I leap out of bed last night. And, I do mean, LEAP out of bed last night after Chuck wakes me up saying, "Honey, I don't want you to freak out, but I think I smell gas." Oh, yeah, sure...don't freak out! EEK! Oh, and by the way, it was 4 am when this started!

I walk out into the hall and he is absolutely right...the WHOLE house smells of gas. Holy CRAP! I come downstairs and check the stove. I don't hear any gas leaking and don't smell any concentration of gas in the kitchen. I walk down to the basement, I hear the furnace kick on - that's clearly not it. Again, no concentration of gas smell. Huh...this is weird.

I go back upstairs, but I can still smell it. Deciding to err on the side of caution, I call the gas company to report a gas leak. When I finally get a human on the phone, he says, "Are you reporting a gas odor?" I say, "Yes." He asks where I'm located and he replies with, "Yeah, we're actually getting a TON of calls from your area. I'm writing a ticket for you and someone will be out soon, but be aware that it's probably not your house, but part of a larger issue that we're trying to figure out."

Ok - that seems like both good and bad news, I think! At least my house is - hopefully - not going to explode if I light a match.

Chuck and I are now sitting up in the living room, waiting for the gas company to show up and watching the news when we see this. Yeah...looks like this is the issue. A few minutes after we see this on the news, the gas company shows up. The guy was really nice and he actually came in to watch the news a bit so that he knew what was going on.

We went back to bed and woke up a few hours later to a pleasantly non-stinky house. Weird, very weird.

No comments: