#1 - launching attacks with the goal of getting into a breakaway.
#2 - chasing down attacks launched by other teams so that their breakaways are unsuccessful.
And my favorite...
#3 - starting our leadout train with just under two laps to go.
#3 is really just a wonderfully fulfilling job to have. I go to the front at the start of 2 to go, by halfway through that lap, I am at the front DRILLING it. I know that my teammates are behind me and ready to take up the charge once I croak. Then...I croak. My team comes around and continues to lead Mitch or Becky to the line and BOOM - podium!
I don't know why I find this job so fun. I mean...there's little glory in it from the outside. I don't get to stand on a podium, I often finish near or at the back of the pack, people often ask me..."what happened?" But, internally (within myself and my team), it is the most glorious experience. Getting a huge hug from my teammate who is on the podium, knowing that I strung the field out enough that no one was able to attack and steal the thunder from our sprint team, and just knowing that I have a job and can do it...this makes it so amazing to me.
We had a GREAT race yesterday. The last two laps were nearly PERFECT. We finished with riders in 2nd, 4th and 6th. What a great day to be green!
No comments:
Post a Comment