Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pride

I believe that I am a pretty lucky person, on the whole. I have been blessed with a lot of things in my life: good health, an incredible family, a phenomenal husband, and amazing friends. One of them is making me so proud right now, I can hardly contain myself.

Last summer, my friend Christian told me that "Sara from the coffee shop" was thinking about trying out to race for Sturdy Girl. I thought...hmmm...another Sara(h), eh? On a side note, we ended up with THREE Sara(h)s on the team this year! Crazy.

Anyway...back to my story. So, I finally meet "Sara from the coffee shop" and we hit it off immediately. She is hilarious, bubbly, free-spirited, honest and straightforward, strong, independent, fun, and just generally incredible. It seemed like every time we got together for any type of team event, I found myself searching her out (and Jenna) to chat, hang, ride with, etc. The two of them became people that I felt really comfortable with.

Sara had a bit of a rough start to the season. She had a little issue with falling over! ;) Honestly, I think 99% of it was that she was not fit correctly on the bike. She's very tall and her center of gravity was off. I kept telling her that I thought she needed to get a fit. She finally did, and immediately started talking about how she felt better on the bike, felt like she had more control and more power. Anyway...her racing began to improve also. I expected this...and know that it will continue to improve as she gains experience and confidence.

But now to the reason why I am so proud of her...she is currently racing in Israel. Yep...Israel. As part of Team USA for the Maccabiah Games (essentially the Jewish Olympics). She is racing against a lot of women with international experience and national championships. She is facing a road race tomorrow (well in Philly, the start time is 1am) that will really challenge her. And yet, she is positive, optimistic, and charged up. Just check out her blog! It makes me so proud to see her in that Team USA kit. To see her doing something so HUGE like this race. And to know that she's going to do well and make all of us back home PROUD as HELL. I know how it made me feel to hear people say they were proud of me after Philly....now I know how it feels to be so proud of someone else that the feeling actually brings tears to your eyes.

Seriously though...how awesome does she look??

I heart you, Sara! Get out there and kick some butt tomorrow! And then, hurry up and come home! I MISS YOU!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Beezkwee said...

I. Love. You. :) You made my day. Race went well considering conditions and the field. I'll tell you more soon!!!!

Choppah said...

Cannot wait to hear all the details! And I CANNOT wait until you are back home!!!!

Endeavors In Domestic Art said...

she totally had a problem with falling over, and she especially doesn't like when her friends grab her bars, but atleast her face healed. anyway, i am so proud of her too! and i love you two!

Endeavors In Domestic Art said...

she totally had a problem falling over, and she especially doesn't like it when her friends grab her bars as she's riding, but atleast her face healed. anyway.. i am super proud of her too! and i love you two ladies!