Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sick...and Tired

Of hearing about friends on bikes being run over, hit, pushed off the road, or killed by drivers lately. And I mean this literally. In the past couple of weeks, I have had the unfortunate luxury of knowing at least 4 people who have been hit or nearly hit by cars. One of them was terrified but fine, two suffered serious injuries, and one was killed.

I was nearly hit a few weeks ago while riding around Cooper River. A young girl not paying any attention passes me and then cuts in front of me to park. For whatever reason, she decided that she needed to pull over in front of a parked car that was just to my right. In other words, she left me with no where to go - she was on my left and in front of me, parked car on my right. Her stupid move forced me to slam on my brakes, fishtail the back end of my bike, and scream a VERY loud obscenity (sorry, Mom) to get her attention. She then stops...I manage to get out from behind her and pass her on the left. She opens the window and says, "Sorry." Um, REALLY? You nearly caused me to slam into the back end of your car at 23 mph. Yep, I'd say you would have been sorry if I had been less capable of handling my bike.

I've made this plea so many times on this blog...but I will continue to do so as more and more of my friends end up hospitalized or worse due to drivers simply NOT PAYING ATTENTION or even worse, being so IMPATIENT that they risk the life of a cyclist to get where they are trying to go a few seconds faster.

PLEASE, when you are out in your car...watch for cyclists, walkers, motorcyclists, kids, animals, and other things in your way. It's worth it to Yield to Life.

PLEASE, when you are out on your bike...assume that NO ONE sees you. Think of this as the one time that assuming something does NOT make an ass out of u and me!!!!

That brings me to my second plea...if you can, please check out this website and donate if you can. It's a good cause, and it will help to keep the cyclist you love safe while they are out on the road.

Drive and Cycle Safe, my friends. Please.

No comments: