Sunday, May 19, 2013

Turning the Corner

This week was rough.  I knew that it would be, but it's been tough.  I've had some MAJOR downs that were followed by incredible ups.  So, here's how it's gone... and here's where we are now...

It was my first week of summer classes - so I knew that I would be physically challenged by standing up for 3 hours a day to teach.  Tuesday was the roughest day of the week - when the pain and frustration had me at a total low point.

But, it began to turn around.  Wednesday was good.  Thursday was LONG.  I taught all morning and then had graduation at night.  Standing around in the robing area before walking into the gym for the ceremony was very tough.  Once I sat down, I regained my strength, and managed to walk across the stage without limping, without being bent over like an evil henchman, and with the exquisite joy of being hooded masking the pain in my hip and leg.

Friday had me going from doctor's appointment to doctor's appointment.  PT in the morning was followed by a visit to Imaging for a scan and acupuncture with Marnie in the afternoon.  By the end of the day, I was tired and achey, but feeling ok.

Saturday started well - we went to the Farmer's Market and bought some gorgeous golden beets and potatoes to roast.  I went out and did some shopping at the mall for some pants.  Ouch.  By the time I got home from that, I needed a nap.  I was in quite a bit of pain, but felt wonderful after waking up from my nap.

Today has started pretty well.  After doing my PT exercises, I'm a bit sore, but I'm planning a restful afternoon so that I can PARTY my butt off tonight at The Killers concert!

But, perhaps the best part, is this...For the first time in 4 weeks, I woke up STRAIGHT this morning!  My hips were nearly perfectly aligned.  I can feel it in my entire body.  They often speak of "turning a corner" in recovery.  I am really hoping that this weekend was my corner.

I am looking forward to spending the evening with my friends.  I am looking forward to the next week to see if I can keep turning corners and getting better.  Maybe getting back on the bike in June will be possible after all.  I'll have a LOT of catching up to do, but if I'm with my team... I know that I can do it!

No comments: