Sunday, May 18, 2008

Curse of the 13!

OK...so last year at Union Grove (see earlier post), I managed to pull out a 13th place finish after being dropped from the main group, riding alone for most of the race, and getting passed at what I did not know was the finish. This year, I placed 13th again - under VERY different circumstances. Next year, if I get 13th...I'm going to vow to NEVER to Union Grove AGAIN! :P

OK...here's how it went.

What: Union Grove Road Race
Where: East Earl, PA - Lancaster Co.
When: Saturday, May 17th
Cat: 3/4 and 35+ Cat 2s

Weather: Nice day. It was actually a little chilly out on course when the sun went behind some clouds, and I thought it drizzled on us once (it was either that, or I got hit with someone's spit - I prefer to think it was drizzle!)! Upper 60s...basically a purty day.

Course: 28 miles - 6 laps of a 4.75 loop through the rolling roads of Lancaster Co. One big hill about halfway around and one more up to the finish line. Both were conceivably "big ring climbs" but I only used my big ring on the last lap for the last climb.


Sturdies in the field: 8 of us! Krysia, Beth, Doreen, Naomi, Jody, Liz, M, Candace and Me! It was a big field with over 30 starters.

Race: We were ready for attacks at the start. For the most part, the attacks were not whole hearted, though. In general, people seemed to be launching primarily to check out the legs and gumption of the other riders. No one attacked on the "big climb" and the same people kept attacking at the same points - it was a little weird!!

The group did eventually split into one main pack at the front of 20+ riders, with others chasing. We stayed in this pack for the entire race. It was pretty fast, we averaged around 21 mph for the day, and I felt really good throughout the race. Unfortunately, at the end, I just didn't have the snap to go for the sprint like I usually do. Around the final turn, I got caught behind the rider I had been telling myself ALL DAY to not get caught behind on the final lap. When I got around her, most of the front of the pack had moved just out of reach. So I looked to those who seemed close enough to grab and pounded up the finish hill. I did pass a few people, but ended up in daggon 13th place anyway. As I said, a much different race from last year! Twice as long, and I rode twice as well - I think.

No comments: