Friday, August 29, 2008

Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument

I was fortunate enough recently to be a part of a program at work that had us complete the Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument (HBDI). This test looks at teh specialization of your brain on a typical left/right basis, but also on a horizontally distributed upper and lower basis. Herrmann divided the brain into four sections: green, red, yellow, and blue, to determine someone's brain dominance and thinking style. Not only do you discover your dominant thinking style, but the test also indicates how that thinking style changes when one is placed under stressful conditions. I love the way in which it achieves this, too...the test begins to ask you questions that are framed in such a way that you become frustrated or annoyed. This increases your stress level and records the way in which your responses change. Brilliant!

Anyway...I received my results today. I was not really suprised by my scoring. If you look at my chart, you will see that I am predominantly right brained (creative and emotional thinker), and nearly balance in terms of upper and lower brained responses. When I become stressed, my emotional thinking decreases and is replaced by sythetic or conceptual thinking. Good to know. All in all, I am pretty balanced (haha, how little they know!) when it comes to my thinking style.

Here is my profile chart...

This is a really neat tool to have when working in groups, as I often have to do. It will certainly make me more aware of the weaknesses in my thinking style and how I can improve those weaknesses in a departmental or institutional setting. I look forward to figuring it all out.
Now, if I could just give Chuck the test...I'd LOVE to see where he fits!

No comments: