Monday, August 31, 2009

Back to Real Life

Well...real life has intervened on my summer of pretending to be a Professional Cyclist. Notice, I say pretending. I guess it was more like impersonating. I got out there and rode alongside Tina Pic, Ina Teutenberg, Alison Powers, Kelly Benjamin and so many other women that I have only read about in magazines. It really was a dream come true to be on the start line for the Liberty Classic and to climb the hills of Fitchburg in the pro peloton.

It was a year full of ups and downs...from my wins at Mount Joy and Greentree to my embarrassingly awful time trial at the Giro de Jersey, I felt nearly every emotion possible this year. Elation, fear, sadness, joy, pride, anxiety, serenity, and nearly everything in between.

Thanks to all the amazing women I raced with this year. To the Riptide and Ciclismo teams, my buddies in ripping legs off. You have heart, you have soul, you have awesome attitudes! You love to race, you love to compete, and you do it with grace, style, and a smile. You are awesome ladies!

I was surrounded this year by not one, but two teams of amazing women, Sturdy Girl and Salamander. To my Sturdies - I love you guys. You are such an amazing group of women. I am really lucky that I stumbled upon this team in the fall of 2006. I am lucky that George decided that I was worthy of wearing pink. I am lucky that so many others have stumbled upon this team and become some of my closest friends. Without you, I never would have taken such a joy in riding and racing my bike. Without you, I never would have had the support and encouragement to race my guts out. To my Salamanders - you ladies taught me so much this season. Getting to ride along side you and learn from your experiences in the peloton made me smarter, stronger, and more confident this year, and I really appreciate it. I hope that we can join amphibious forces again next year for Philly. It would be a blast to hit the road with you all again.

Thanks to George - coach extraordinare. You ROCK. Do I need to say more than that? I am so proud to call you a heck of a lot more than a coach. You are a confidante, a mentor, a sounding-board, a counselor, and most importantly you are my friend. I appreciate your constant belief in me and your support.

To my Bubba...you put up with all of my bike-dorkiness, and I love you dearly for it. I couldn't ask for a better partner to share my life and my soul with.

Well, thank you for this Academy Award...they're playing the music now and soon the giant hook will come out to pull me offstage. hehe!

No comments: