Sunday, August 23, 2009

Course de Marlton-Evesham-Marlton Race

Today was my "home course" race. The race was held at the Greentree course at which I spend the majority of my Thursday nights. It runs backwards from what we normally ride, but it's the same course, none-the-less. It was not a huge field, unfortunately, but it was a field full of tough cookies!

Race: 21 laps of the 1.1 mile course. (I think we did 22 though. I think we did 2 laps to go twice!)
Field: 10 - including Lisa Jellet and Tricia Carnila from Verducci, Betty and Jackie Paull.
# 0f Sturdies: 3 - Me, Rhodes, and Barb

Course:

Awesome course with two left turns and a curving back side. One hill leads up to the start/finish line. The course is generally fast and fun...I love this one.

Race:

I had a dream a few nights ago that I pulled a "Swope" at this race. Meaning, go from the line, break from the field and stay away to win. Now...I wasn't particularly sure if I was alone in my dream, but I definitely went from the line and I definitely won. I kept mulling this idea over in my head and for some reason, it just felt right. So...

The ref blew the whistle, and I gunned it. I didn't look back until the 2nd left turn and realized that the field was chasing, but I had a good sized gap. Coming around for the 2nd lap through the same turn I looked back and thought, "Oh, crap...they got me." But I was wrong. What I was seeing was Tricia and Betty bridging up to me and leaving the field behind! YES! So...we hammered. Before long, the field was out of sight and we were on our way to the podium!

At some point, Lisa attempted to bridge the gap. So, Tricia stopped working (I totally thought that was a great team move). Unfortunately for Lisa, she couldn't quite get across the gap and we maintained our position out front. At some point, we lapped and picked up Jackie Paull (still not sure how that happened - all of the sudden...there she was!) and a while later we picked up the field.

Getting back into the field was better this time around than last. Although I still had my misgivings about it. But, I decided that this time would be different. Barb and Jen were AWESOME at this point. Barb comes up to the front (see photo of her below) and says, as she is passing me, "I don't know how long I can sit up here, but here goes!" and she pulled at the front for at least a lap - keeping the pace high and preventing attacks. It was awesome. I was really excited to race with Barb again this weekend. She is one STRONG woman. Stronger than she thinks she is...and she is so excited about LEARNING how to race. It makes her a great competitor and a phenomenal teammate. And Jen is so smart. She has been doing this for long enough to really understand the way things work on the road. Her knowledge is always so great to have!!! Thanks, ladies...you were great!

Since I knew it was going to be a bunch sprint and I really didn't want to lose a good position to the line, I remained at the front of the field...keeping the pace high so that no one could get a ton of rest. I really just wanted to make sure that I didn't get caught behind anyone trying to get up the hill to the line. As we came around for the final turn and sprint, Lisa came up alongside me with Tricia on her wheel. Lisa gunned it...I gunned it...Tricia gunned it!! I ended up finishing just behind Lisa and just ahead of Tricia! Since we had lapped Lisa, I took the win! YEE-HAW!!! My first win as a Cat 2!

I'm really excited about this win and can't wait to celebrate over dinner with Chuck, Barry and April. I'll have photos soon - there were a few photographers out there! :)

Links to some pictures:


Great shot of Josh - he looks so HAPPY!!!

2 comments:

JB said...

Congratulations! We have a winnah!

Sally P. said...

It pays to believe in your dreams!
So cool!