Sunday, August 30, 2009

NJ State Crit Championships

What: NJ State Crit Championships
Where: Greentree course again - home turf race!
15 miles, Open Category
11 riders on the line. Again...though it was a smallish field, it was stocked with some tough cookies - Beth Bonilla, Betty, Jackie, among them.
# of Sturdies: 2 - me and Barbara

Race: Course was basically the same as last week with a different start/finish line. This week, rather than ending at the top of the hill, we ended on a false flat incline between the two left hand turns. Not perfect for me, but not bad either.

Like last week, I decided that pushing it from the line would be a good idea. I punched it off the line, and a few folks (Barb included) came along. A few of us ended up with a break (me, Katherine Russell and Jackie), but I had a feeling that it wasn't going to stick. With Beth and Betty back in the chase group, I knew that they would not allow us to stay away. After a few laps, we got pulled back in. Almost immediately, and expectedly, Beth counter-attacked and I went with her. Betty and Jackie came along as well. Soon, the four of us were off the front in a solid break.

Beth and I worked the pace hard, attacking and counter-attacking one another occasionally, but without any major results. I knew that it was going to come down to the final lap and to Beth and I for the finish. Betty and Jackie were doing what they could, but I had a feeling that Beth and I were on form and ready to take it to the line.

We came around for the final lap and the pace had slowed down to that typical "game playing" pace. When we came to the base of the climb, I attacked. I flew up the hill and pushed it through the turn towards the finish line. Beth came with me and was able to draft enough to come around me at the end for the win! I was really happy with the race, and pretty happy with a 2nd place finish! I can't lie, I wanted to win...but if I was going to lose to anyone today, I'm happy it was Beth. She worked hard, she sprinted hard, and she's a great woman. Congrats to Beth! Jackie ended up 3rd, Betty 4th. Jan Curran took the win in the Cat 4 race. Barb was 4th in the Cat 4 and 10th overall.

All in all, it was a nice way to finish off my season. Now...it's back to work, back to school, and back to winter base training. Honestly, next year can't get here quick enough...I'm already looking forward to it!

2 comments:

JB said...

Congratulations! Second place is darn impressive!

Sally P. said...

Congrats on a terrific season Sarah! This is another really great result.
:)
Sally