Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Shiny New Jersey Jersey

So, Sunday was my first race back since April 21st.

When I looked back at my results and realized it had been nearly 3 months since I raced my bike, I was very sad.  And, very grateful.  Two months ago, I literally couldn't walk.  I was in excruciating pain.  I was debilitated.  And, I feared that it would never get better.

So, the fact that I was even there on Sunday seemed to be a blessing to me.  65 miles with 50 riders - mostly men in the 55/65+ categories, I hoped that I would be able to hang on to the main group and stay in for the finish.  With only 5-6 women in the field, I was hoping for a podium!  Silly, I know, but it was a goal!

The pack essentially stayed together for the whole race.  While there were a few solo attacks off the front, it wasn't in the cards for anyone to stay away on the pancake flat course.  A few riders dropped off the back as the pace got lifted in the 4th lap, but I felt comfortable and strong sitting in the middle of the field.

As we came through the final lap, I gave Kristin and Chuck a thumbs up and just focused on the finish. I got as close to the other women as I could, knowing that I needed to watch them toward the line.

As we hit 500 meters to go, the field began to stretch out across the road.  I made the instinctual move left and it was a good decision.  A little kerfuffle on the right side of the road held up some riders, but I was able to move past it on the left to sprint for the line - as much as a Porkchop can sprint, that is.

One female rider, Caryl Gale, finished in front of me (and 5th overall!), and I came in at 15th overall and 2nd in the women's field!  PODIUM!!  Wahoo!

Once I got over to the podium ceremony, I found out that I had gotten MORE than a podium...  I was the only 35+ woman in the race, so I actually got a NJ State Road Race Championship jersey and a W!


Even though I was the only 35+ woman in the field, I'm stoked to have had such a good first race back.  It's given me the confidence to keep riding and keep training.  I'm looking forward to getting back out there with the team and having fun with them for the rest of the race season and into the beautiful realm of fall riding... :)

Thanks to my awesome pit crew (Borda and Mr. Porkchop), thanks to Specialized for making the Amira (she's the best steed, ever!!), and thanks to Mother Nature for providing us the woods in which we all relieved ourselves after the director of the Mullica Recreation Park decided to spite the cyclists and remove all but one of the porta-potties the night before the race.  Shame on you, meanie-face.  

No comments: