Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Happy Birthday, Grams!

My grandmother turns 88 today.  She's an amazing woman.  She's spunky, she's funny, she loves life, she loves her family, and she has lived a wonderful life.

A couple of years ago, we armed ourselves with a recorder and asked her questions about her life.  She told us about meeting my grandfather.  Their first kiss.  And, about how she told her mom he was a few years younger than he really was because her mother would kill my 18-year-old grandmother for dating a man who was 25!

She told us about the great flood in Cincinnati in 1937 when the house downtown was flooded up to the third floor windows and she and her mom took a boat back to the house to try to save the family bird.  She watched her mother climb in the 3rd story window only to find that the bird had died and all of the furniture from the first two floors was floating.



The family still owns and lives in that house today - running the nearly 100 year old pickle factory out of the basement.  And, my grandmother goes there every Saturday to help pack pickles, clean jars, and stick on labels.

My grandfather passed away in 1995.  He was an amazing man that I wish I had known better.  He was funny, hard-working, handsome, and tough.  I'm lucky that I am learning about him from my mother, my aunts and uncles, and my grandmother.  And, I am very grateful that I am taking the time to know my Grams better while I have the chance.

Happy 88th Birthday, you spunky little lady.  I love you dearly and can't wait to hear some more stories about your amazing life soon!

No comments: