I went out to my first crit (post-injury) yesterday. It was a small field of 15 riders, but there were definitely some strong legs out there. A couple of fast ladies from the Farm Team showed up, and there was a collegiate national champion in the ranks. It was NOT going to be an easy race. However, with teams being represented with (at most) two riders, it also was not going to be a constant attack fest.
There were some surprisingly big primes on the line for the day - several $20 prizes, one was $50 and another was $100. VERY impressive Wachtung Wheelmen. VERY impressive. Not to mention $750 payout 10 deep for our field. Why this race doesn't generate more interest is beyond me, but I plan to try to get it on the team's radar for next year! We could rack up some serious cashola if we brought out the big guns for this one!!
So, I had a feeling that it would come down to a field sprint - NOT my cup of tea, but whatever. I was feeling surprisingly good, and at one point, I launched a rather fruitless attack. Nonetheless, I got off the front solo. I settled in to a nice TT pace and passed through the finish line. When I came through the second time, they called a 2-deep prime... $50 for 1st, $20 for 2nd. OH, CRAP. I knew that meant that #1 - I had a shot at $50 and #2 - they were going to chase like banshees!
So, I put my head down, gritted my teeth, and just hauled butt. I made it to the line for the prime, with another rider about half a bike length behind for the $20. PHEW! But, then... I had to survive. The next 45 seconds were BRUTAL. I had burned myself up on that flyer and with my fitness still coming around, it was NOT pleasant. But, I managed to get enough air and enough power in my legs to hang on at the back.
Of course, this completely blew me for the finish, so I had a terrible final result. BUT - I raced hard. I cannot look at that race and be upset in ANY way. I jumped away from a field for 2.5 laps! I won a $50 prime!! I am back on the bike and feeling good!
Thanks to Mike for driving us up there and for getting us home in the pouring, flooding rain of South Jersey. I'm SO sorry that it took you another HOUR to get the 7 miles back to your house! I owe you... BIG TIME! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment