Friday, August 10, 2007

Proud to be a TARTAR!

Ok...so, many years ago, I decided to walk on to my college swim team. The Wayne State University Tartars swim team was small, young, and had just had a coach walk off the job to be replaced by the former assistant coach. In short, it was a program in desperate need of rebuilding.

We started that first year with around a dozen women. At times, it felt like we barely had enough bodies to run a relay, nonetheless win any meets. I'm not even sure if we did win any meets that year. Mostly, we just got our butts handed to us on a platter. And yet, there were glimmers of greatness that shone through now and again.

The next year, the program grew. We now had more like a baker's dozen! :) Just kidding, it was up to nearly 20 women. Same sort of season...although winning became more of a possibility.

My final year, we were actually a threat! The team had begun to attract competitors from all over the US and Canada...and the year after I left, we began collecting international swimmers as well! We started winning on a regular basis, and putting up a damn good fight when we didn't! That year, with conference held in my home pool, I took home my first conference win in the 800 free relay. My coach still remembers that win, as do I! I was the anchor leg in the race, forced to go against the Conference Champion (3 years running) of the 200 free. I swam my fastest 200 ever, breaking the 2 minute barrier for the first time and clocking in at a 1:57.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, that team...originally the Tartars, and regretably now known as the Wayne State Warriors (we'll always be Tartars!), won it's second Conference championship in a row this year and placed 10th in Division II Nationals. AND, Sean Peters, that assistant coach who got stuck with us way back in 1997, has been named Coach of the Year for both the Men's and Women's teams (SEVERAL times!).

Keep an eye on this team, swim fans. I know I will!

No comments: