Monday, August 06, 2007

Ups and Downs of Monday Night Ride

Tonight was our weekly Sturdy Girl Cycling Monday Night Ride. I enjoy these rides because it's fun to talk to all of the different women who decide to join us, and there is usually some sort of interesting event or happening that takes place during the 28 mile trek through Philadelphia and the outlying neighborhoods. Tonight was no exception.

With 11 women on the road together, we were over halfway through with our ride when we encountered two interesting moments only seconds apart. The first one was wonderful, the second one...not so much. It started with seeing a mother deer with a very small baby! They were just off the side of the road in someone's side yard. She looked at us and the baby scurried down a little path into the woods. It was really sweet because it was such a small creature and seeing its little white tail bobbing off into the woods was adorable!

Then...to everyone's horror, a bird flew right along the surface of the road and right into the wheels of the front two riders. One of the two ran the poor fellow over and within a matter of seconds we had witnessed both ends of the spectrum of life. For those interested, I believe that the bird was a Northern Flicker from what I could see as I rode past it (I was fortunate to be riding sweep on the back of the group and therefore not involved with the animal fatality).

Please reserve a few thoughts tonight for the well being of our little deer and for the soul of our little Flicker. May he have many yummy bugs to munch on in birdie heaven!

No comments: