Tuesday, September 09, 2008

All is Right in the World

I just got back from the grocery store and am pleased to announce that all is right in the world again. For the past several months, I have been walking through the bulk organic food aisle in the store with a cringe. There appears to have been an extreme quinoa shortage in the Mid-Atlantic states lately and the little bin has been empty with optimisitic signs that would say things like, "Quinoa will be in stock on 7/4/08". I'd go back on 7/5/08 and the sign would say, "Quinoa will be in stock on 7/30/08." Like a lemming, I would return on 7/31/08 to find the sign changed yet again...8/4/08. Eventually, they stopped changing the sign but the little bin remained empty.

And then, today...with much trepidation, I walked down the bulk aisle. HOORAY!!!! Quinoa has returned!!!! So, I bought a ton of it. Just in case I need to hoard it away for the next dry spell.



For those who have never had quinoa, I highly recommend it. It's a great grain, high in protein, and fantastically YUMMY! :)

3 comments:

Karyn and Eric said...

Looks kinda like my parakeet seed...how do you cook it?

Choppah said...

It basically cooks like rice...just water in a pot with quinoa. I like to use it in a Tabouleh recipe. I'll send it to you!

Choppah said...

I thought I might as well share with all...my favorite quinoa recipe!!

Bulgur and Quinoa Tabbouleh:
1 ½ c bulgur
6 c water
1 ½ c quinoa, rinsed (always rinse quinoa before you cook it – not doing so may leave it tasting bitter)
6 c diced tomatoes
1 ½ c parsley, chopped
1 c scallions, finely sliced
¼ c mint, chopped
1 c extra virgin olive oil
½ c lemon juice
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper

1. Place the bulgur in a mixing bowl. Add 3 cups of boiling water; cover and allow to soak until the water has absorbed and the grains are tender, about 30 minutes. Drain excess water if necessary.
2. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Stir in quinoa; cover, reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer until the liquid has absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Combine bulgur, quinoa, tomatoes, parsley, scallions and mint in a large mixing bowl.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pour this over the grains and toss well to coat.